2 questions, one about using an external harddrive with itunes and one about apple tv

Reaction score
This is my first post, but yeah here's the two things I've been pondering about:

1) If i was to buy an external usb 2.0 harddrive and copy all my itunes files to it. Plug it into an airport extreme so it's wireless. Would they're be a way to play the music from it straight to an airport express, without having to have a computer on, like a wireless music server. If it's not possible this way, is there another way to do it.

2) If i bought an apple tv and had all my itunes backed to an external harddrive, thats wireless (the same as above) would Apple tv still be able to stream wirelessly from itunes?

Sorry if I've posting this in the wrong sub-forum, or if these are obvious questions. But i just wanna find the easiest way to set it up.

Cheers Albie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.