Linux on Vmware using External Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
I tried this and thought of sharing this with you all. It might be a repost so pls bear with me.

I tried installing openSuse on vmwarefusion completely on the external disk and it was successful with no noticable performance issue in running it/ booting it from the external drive. There is not much configuration required.... while creating virtual disk, I created it on the external drive and then continued the OS installation on the VMF using the external VD.

Mac rocks...... VMF rocks and nonetheless openSuse rocks :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Yeah I do that with all of my VMs from an eSATA drive and they run faster off of that than they do from my MBP's internal. That's the nice thing out virtual machine servers; you can put the disk wherever you want it.

Reaction score
yeah, we have VMs set up at work on a networked server. I primarily use VMWare Fusion to access my bootcamp partition when I don't feel like restarting the comp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.