Weird

Reaction score
Ok here is the problem that has started here over the weekend:

I have been hooked up to a router ever since I got my imac 20' last Feb. Then all of a sudden I couldn't get any pages to load It just slowly got worse & worse. Now if I am plugged into the modem direct then everything is fine. I have tried 2 different routers & even got a new modem from my isp still the only way that I can get on the net is by being plugged into the modem direct.

One router was a d-link the other a trendnet The daughter is getting upset because she can't use her laptop. The trendnet is wireless for her laptop but I was wired. It was working great till about 2 weeks ago then I noticed that it was taking longer & longer to load pages on mine.

We hae checked all the plugs ethernet cables & done all that we can think of doing but nothing works.

Please can anyone help

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is just a guess but have seen it happen. Sounds like the Trendnet was failing and finally died. The other day I was helping another user and did some reading on some Trendnet routers and many had issues with them dying over time. The only suggestion I could make with the TrendNet is to flash the firmware to the latest version, but for some it's not easy to do.

What model is the Dlink? Does it have Wireless or is it just a wired router?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Then that gets in the way of using it as no Wifi for your daughter. What Internet you using? DSL? Cable? I am just wondering if the routers settings got messed up. Do you know how to log into the router and change settings? What model is the Trendnet so I can look it up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i would go out to and get a new linksys wireless router and see if the problem still is happening. if it doesnt work just return the new router

OP
M
Reaction score
Is there a special setting for the internet on a mac that might have gotten changed ??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a special setting for the internet on a mac that might have gotten changed ??

What DSL modem did they give you? Who is your provider?

That Trendnet model is the one where a lot of people have had issues and some very much like yours.

Since it works from the DSL modem I am sure it's set to DHCP so it should work with the router as well. If you can afford it, try a Linksys WRT-54g.

OP
M
Reaction score
I am going to go up to a computer repair shop to talk to them about it.

Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks for all the help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to go up to a computer repair shop to talk to them about it.

Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks for all the help.

Not a problem. Hope you figure out your router issues. Don't let them tell you Macs don't work with DSL or something like that! :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok I got a new Link router & just hooked it up to my Mac & all is well with the world. Now off to try & get the wireless working.

They wanted me to bring my Mac in for service I had to tell them that it just works.

Keep your fingers crossed with the wireless part.

Thanks to all that helped me with this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Often a modem will remember the device that was plugged into it. If you plan to change routers or plug your system directly into it then change again you need to unplug the modem from power for a few seconds during the change so it forgets what was plugged into it and can find the new router or device.

OP
M
Reaction score
We just booted up the laptop wireless & it is soooo awsome so much faster then it was before.

It is a happy home once again.

Thanks to all for your help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I got a new Link router & just hooked it up to my Mac & all is well with the world. Now off to try & get the wireless working.

They wanted me to bring my Mac in for service I had to tell them that it just works.

Keep your fingers crossed with the wireless part.

Thanks to all that helped me with this

Which Linksys did you get? Let me know if you have issues setting up the Wireless and I will help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.