any way to have iPhoto not launch when iphone gets connected?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", iPhone
Does anyone know if there is a way to make it so iPhoto doesnt launch when i connect my iphone to my computer? I only ask because I have a lot of photos in iPhoto and it takes a while to launch...

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Go to iPhoto's preferences. At the bottom there is an option that says "Connecting camera opens:". Click on the pull down box and select "No application".

That will stop iPhoto from opening every time you connect your iPhone.

OP
chrisf707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", iPhone
im not seeing that in my preferences... any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
A bit of a long shot here. I just got my iPhone, and when I plug it in, only iTunes launches. However, I do not have it sync photos with iPhoto. I bet that is it. When in iTunes, uncheck the photo sync stuff and you will likely resolve your issue.

Now I still load photos onto my iPhone. What I do instead is establish a separate folder, outside of iPhoto, and copy the shots I want on my iPhone into it. Then, via iTunes, I tell it to sync photos for my iPhone from that folder. This bypasses iPhoto entirely but still syncs the pictures you want onto your iPhone.

Hopefully this approach may work for you too.

OP
chrisf707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", iPhone
Nothing is checked on mine for syncing things from iphoto... That syncs pics from iphoto to the iphone. I bet if I delete all the pics I took with the iphone it will stop launching iphoto. I will give that a try and let you know how it works.

Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
If using iPhoto 6 you'll have to turn off iPhoto launch you'll have to open image capture app (Apps Folder) and then select "no app" Living in norway I haven't an iPhone ..It's a long shot maybe it sees your iPhone as a mass storage device

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Powerbook G4, iPhone
I had asked this question earlier as well. The only solution I found was to open "image capture" under applications and deselect iphoto from opening when a camera is connected. Unfortunately it means all cameras, which is counter productive if you have another camera that you use. I for one would like to see an iphone software update that addresses this. It makes synching messy, in my opinion. If I wanted unnecessary windows popping up in my way I would have bought a PC.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
"iPhone The Missing Manual" recommend the very procedure you mention savagehenry. Open Image Capture, go to Preferences, and select "No Application". It *looks* like it is iPhone specific. Are you sure it effects all cameras?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.