Should I bootcamp now or wait for Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Hello, I will be receiving Leopard from my school at "an undisclosed date" (probably november or december) but I would like to setup bootcamp 1.4 now. Would I have any migration issues at all when I upgrade like a broken boot loader or will it just say "hey, there's windows" and just keep on working? Thanks!

Reaction score
I'm hoping it recognizes Windows and can just update to Leopard. I would think that the Erase and Install option is not an option with a BootCamp partition, so probably can update with an Archive and Install option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
They warned me recently that Bootcamp becomes unusable after Leopard is released, so that would mean that from the moment its released until you actually get it you maybe cant use it. Also, I don't know if Leopard will be compatible with boot camp as it is now. It would be probable thought, but theres a risk involved. If you dont mind having to maybe reinstall everything in a few weeks i'd go ahead.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Yeah I only am using it for games I have all backed up installers for. I just installed it and XP Pro tonight on the MBP in my avatar and it's not too bad expect for the fact the the screen can only be adjusted from about 10-50% brightness, and then it jumps to 100%. I downloaded the drivers ATI had on their website for the video along with Catalyst though so I can manually control brightness and gamma. Notably though, ATITool after installing this driver turns the screen backlight off when you open it... Otherwise it has been pretty good; the graphics performance is about the same or a little worse than my desktop w/ an AMD Athlon 2500+ @ 1.83ghz, 2.5GB of RAM, and a 256mb x1300pro w/ the expection being Quake 4 because it has a dual core optimization setting (ATItool on my desktop gave it an avg, FPS of 145, the MBP gets about 126, but hey, it's not bad for a 1" aluminum sandwhich!). Performance on Flatout 1 and 2 is also pretty good, though I think the Mac version of UT2k4 ran a hint better than the windows one under bootcamp. I bet the newer nvidia based MBPs would rock out on all of these games though!

On topic though, I hope Apple doesn't plan on making all of their bootcamp beta users reformat their XP/Vista installs to make it work on the full Leopard release. I know they mentioned the possibility of stuff getting messed up in their release notes, but still. I hope I just have to burn a new driver disk and run it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Well you'll need to get leopard first of all to continue using Windows, its not likely youll have to reformat but not everyone will want to upgrade to leapard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.