• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 08 Help Needed

Reaction score
Hiya
I need some advice on how to use imovie 08? How do i use the timeline? Is there anyway to make it like the timeline on windows movie maker? Also if i download imovie 04 (from download.com) will imovie 08 be deleted? I read that imovie 04 (or 06) is alot simpler and i'd like to use something easier for now. If not how can i edit videos and blend clips together? Me and my friend made a video and i'd like to upload it to youtube but i cant understand imovie 08...I need some advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You can download iMovie HD (06) from apple.com for free and it will run alongside iMovie 08 no problems. iMovie does not have a timeline feature. It is a new way of working with video, which does take a little while getting used to. If you are totally confused, watch the guide tour available on the iLife website...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, iMovie does have a time line, but it depends on the version you are discussing. Previous versions to iMovie 08 (which is version 7.x) do have a time line.

The new iMovie 08 replaces the time line with a project window where you connect clips together. You select the clips from a source window where you can select just the length you want from a source clip by using the mouse to select the start and stop points. You can fine tune in the project window. Oh, it can display a time code for a project.

Under the Help menu item there is a "Getting Started PDF" available and a link to the online Tutorials.

To download the older iMovie HD (closer to MS MM), get it here while it lasts.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I just downloaded imovie 06 from the apple website which is alot easier than imovie 08 ^_^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.