Can we not discuss third pary apps and unlocks for the fourms?

Reaction score
I didn't know since unlocking is not illegal and is protected under copyright laws. I see being on this page as a privialage like being in someone's house and I will follow the house rules I'm just asking for clairifaction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think 3rd party apps are ok, anything else is sort of a grey area for right now. I would advise you read the forum rules, specifically rule #4, the amended last line about EULAs is what may apply here.

You were smart, when in doubt, ask. Kudos to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Fwiw, this week's Macworld podcast shows that even the folks over there are not happy with what Apple has done with unlocking iPhones and 3rd party apps for the iPhone and iPod touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Space Invaders... I agree with Bagss 100% .

And again kudos to you for asking that as very smart.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It still amazes me that so many people are upset. Did no one see this coming? Knowing Apple, I can't see how this would surprise anyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Another reason why I don't understand people are upset is that you don't HAVE to upgrade your firmware. If you don't want your phone to get locked again and/or not have access to third-party apps, then stick with 1.02.

If someone is smart enough to install third-party apps on their iPhone, then that person should be smart enough to read whether a new update will allow them to use those apps before actually updating. It's their own fault for updating and then having a shiny paperweight sitting on their desk...

Reaction score
This is not something hard to process. I can understand why apple would't want 3rd party applications on it because if the phone is bricked, the will cancel the account and they will lose money because part of Apple's income is from AT&T.

But then this confuses me:

I read this article from apple.com

"Developers can create Web 2.0 applications which look and behave just like the applications built into iPhone, and which can seamlessly access iPhone’s services, including making a phone call, sending an email and displaying a location in Google Maps. Third-party applications created using Web 2.0 standards can extend iPhone’s capabilities without compromising its reliability or security.

“Developers and users alike are going to be very surprised and pleased at how great these applications look and work on iPhone,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Our innovative approach, using Web 2.0-based standards, lets developers create amazing new applications while keeping the iPhone secure and reliable.”

Web 2.0-based applications are being embraced by leading developers because they are far more interactive and responsive than traditional web applications, and can be easily distributed over the Internet and painlessly updated by simply changing the code on the developers’ own servers. The modern web standards also provide secure data access and transactions, like those used with Amazon.com or online banking."

It says something about 3rd party applications but I am not sure what Web 2.0 is if someone could clarify this.

As for people complaining about updating the firmware and bricking your iPhone, like Kash said, its there fault. It is not that hard, coming from a 15 year old I was able to revert from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 on my own, install 3rd party applications and work flawlessly.

Due to this being one of my prized possessions I do much research before I do anything that would damage my phone in anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Another reason why I don't understand people are upset is that you don't HAVE to upgrade your firmware. If you don't want your phone to get locked again and/or not have access to third-party apps, then stick with 1.02.

If someone is smart enough to install third-party apps on their iPhone, then that person should be smart enough to read whether a new update will allow them to use those apps before actually updating. It's their own fault for updating and then having a shiny paperweight sitting on their desk...

No one should have a paper weight. The phone is easily reverted back to 1.0.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.