Is there a way I could write a script to be run with iCal to text me reminders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I know you can set iCal to run a script, i was wondering if it is possible to have a script that would send a text to my cellphone as a reminder? (i assume it would utilize the callwave texting widget i have installed)

how would i go about this if at all possible? (i am absolutely inexperienced when it comes to this area of computers)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
sounds like an awesome idea.. did you google these kinds of scripts?

(i too don't know anyting in this area of computers)

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
yeah, but didn't find much...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually, there's no need to re-invente the wheel :)

Google Calendars already offers this feature, so what I ended up doing was importing my current iCal calendars to Google Cal. and then I subscribed to Google Calendars via iCal.

Google Calendars has a "quick add" feature that works really well: You add entries in natural language: "Pick up Jim from airport tomorrow 2p.m." "return library books next week on monday 10a.m".

There's also a quicksilver plugin, so I now use quicksilver to add new events and reminders at the tap of a key and receive free sms reminders as a bonus.

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=37226&topic=8568

ALTERNATELY:

You can also send sms messages via iChat in the US AFAIK, so you should be able to write an Applescript to send new message to user 'yourmobilenr' with text 'eventdescription'. That would probably be a lot easier than scripting to one of the sms widgets, as iChat is Applescript-aware. You could try building off of this script:

on idle
tell application "iChat"
if (exists window "Chat with John Doe") and ¬
(not (exists window "Chat with +12125551212")) then
send "IM waiting from John Doe" ¬
to account id "AIM:+12125551212"
end if
end tell
return 10 -- repeat every x seconds
end idle

and try mashing it with this one:
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/icalcallingichatav.php

P.S. Or get an iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Great info!

Also in iCal... you can edit "my Card" to list <your_cell_number>@messaging.sprintpcs.com (if you use sprint). Then simply select the "Email me a Reminder", which will then send you a text.

Also as was stated by Aptmunich.. QUICKSILVER wins again... using the "Run at time" or "Run after delay" command.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.