• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gutted - what would *you* do in this situation?

Reaction score
Hi all!.

A good friend of mine recently accquired a dual G4 733Mhz PowerMac Quicksilver... but sometimes it wouldn't boot up, but 99% of the time it would.

Said friend is a PC user of a long time. Having used the Quicksilver for 2 months, he has set his mind on getting an Intel Mac; this is where I come in:

I agreed to let him have my C2D Mac Mini for £200 + Quicksilver (as part payment). I took a deposit of £80 for the Mac Mini, and earlier this evening, took delivery of the Quicksilver.

Said friend is expecting Mac Mini *TOMORROW*, and to pay me the balance (£120) of the deal. Problem is this - the Quicksilver, RANDOMLY shut down on me during file transfer over firewire - I turned it on again - BOOM! - it conked out... AGAIN.

I have done all the usual, predictable things; CUDA reset, PRAM reset, Open firmware reset on command line... checked PRAM battery (ALL OK) left it unplugged etc etc, and every conceivable combo of the above resolutions.

I cannot use this machine now, but I am annoyed because he has been using it every day for 2 months almost. What said friend has told me, is that Quicksilver WILL NOT boot first time in the morning, but WILL boot, usually on the next try.

I am getting a VERY bad feeling over this deal - the guy is 110% genuine, but I am already giving him a £100 discount ON TOP of the deal, because I wanted to tempt him towards Macintosh, and away from Win32. The deal was a losing one for me, which I chose out of free will (my Mini is only 2 mths old!) and now this - QUICKSILVER IS NOT RELIABLE.

I'm unwilling to spend out on such an old G4 *at all* - I was willing to part-ex it for a mate, but now it's screwed, I feel like I owe the guy a G4, but I am VERY tempted to call time on the deal, and refund him the deposit; it's only £80, after all.

What would you chaps do, in this predicament?. I am very reluctant to proceed regardless, because I would be LOSING £200 *and* a new Mini, and gaining a dead G4 :( :(

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My 2 cents:
I agreed to let him have my C2D Mac Mini for £200 + Quicksilver
Your first mistake. Trading a practically brand-new machine for an almost 6-year old machine was not a very wise decision.
If your friend wanted an Intel Mac, then he would have every opportunity to get one himself, without any "aid" from you.
I am getting a VERY bad feeling over this deal - the guy is 110% genuine, but I am already giving him a £100 discount ON TOP of the deal, because I wanted to tempt him towards Macintosh, and away from Win32.
Your second mistake.
Let people make their own decisions. Do not get too involved and try to push your preferences on them. How do you know what works best for another person? This isn't a contest. There is no prize for "converting" or "switching" a person from one platform to another. Just because you like Macs doesn't mean that the rest of the world does or that they even want one or have any interest in getting one.

Let.

It.

Go.

I'm unwilling to spend out on such an old G4 *at all* -
Your third mistake. If you weren't willing to spend any money on an older machine, then why did you ever agree to take it?
What would you chaps do, in this predicament?. I am very reluctant to proceed regardless, because I would be LOSING £200 *and* a new Mini, and gaining a dead G4 :( :(

Thanks.
Hopefully it isn't too late. Return the money and computer that you have already received if the other person will let you. Then get your computer back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I agree with db: Approach your friend and explain to him that the Quicksilver just won't work reliably for you...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with DB and Apt. I still wonder though what is wrong with the Quicksilver. Almost sounds like Power Supply dying but that is a guess or maybe overheating. Not worth a working Intel Mac Mini, or even a G4 Mini. Not to me, and if it does not even work then even with the $$$ he is giving you are getting stung.

I know it's a close friend so handle it carefully.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Agreed with the others. Sounds to me like a part of the deal was a working (99% of the time) G4, if it does not work - this in itself should cancel the deal.

OP
glosswhite
Reaction score
=== Resolved ===

G4 is being picked up in an hours time, and deposit refunded, tomorrow.

Reaction score
I'm glad it worked out for you. Sometimes business transactions between friends don't go to well.

OP
glosswhite
Reaction score
I'm glad it worked out for you. Sometimes business transactions between friends don't go to well.

No - the guy is a very good mate, and he said that - to be honest - he wasn't too happy with me losing out on this deal, and because he got the G4 free anyhow, he doesn't mind spending £100 or so, on a new PSU.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.