New here - External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Please bare with me as I am not too famliar with how this all works. I know the basics on how to use a PC and MAC. I'd like to know if there is an external hard drive I can use from the pc to my macbook. I want to transfer my pictures, videos and music from my pc to an external hard drive but I also want to be able to use that hard drive on my macbook when I want to view my pictures, videos and music. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Any USB hard drive will work, as long as you format the drive so both Mac and PC can see it - FAT32 should do, if you use NTFS or anything else you need to get hold of extra software.

You can also network the machines so they can see each other's drives, but that's a bit more involved than using an external drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Any USB hard drive will work, as long as you format the drive so both Mac and PC can see it - FAT32 should do, if you use NTFS or anything else you need to get hold of extra software.

You can also network the machines so they can see each other's drives, but that's a bit more involved than using an external drive.

Thank you, but oh boy, you're getting a bit technical on me here. LOL Sorry, I'm an AMATEUR. Will I have the option to format it to FAT32 when I get the external hard drive? I thought I would just plug it into my pc, cut and paste from the pc to the external hard drive and you're done. Does it not work that way? Any suggestions on what external hard drive to get for it to work on both the pc and macbook?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
FAT32 - Both Windows and OS X can read and write to this format, but has a file size limitation. If you are planning on or may in the future want to move movie files between your Windows and your Mac - you do not want this file structure.
NTFS - This is the windows default format - OS X can read this format, but cannot write to it.
HFS+ - This is the OS X format - windows cannot read from it nor write to it.

As far as getting an external drive, get any USB external drive you want.

imho, once you get your drive -

Connect it to your PC and format it NTFS.
That is the standard windows format and you will have no worries about file sizes, etc.

On your Mac, grab the software in this thread. It is in beta testing right now, but many of us are using it problem free. Go to post #36 and anatoly has a link there for beta # 2. Install this on your Mac. With this software your Mac will now be able to write to NTFS drives. It looks like the software will probably be around $25-30 once it is released. It's well worth it if you really need to move files back and forth between the two machines on an ongoing basis. There is an option for Windows to be able to read and write to HFS+, but it is $50.

This to me is the best way without having to any worries about file sizes and be able to move data between a Win and a Mac.

Once you get your drive, just google "format a drive in XP".
you'll get several good hits at the top of the page - look for one that tells you how to format a second drive - it's really easy once you do it a couple of times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
In Leopard with time machine, does it have to be FAT32 to work.

Or will it work with any.

OP
D
Reaction score
FAT32 - Both Windows and OS X can read and write to this format, but has a file size limitation. If you are planning on or may in the future want to move movie files between your Windows and your Mac - you do not want this file structure.
NTFS - This is the windows default format - OS X can read this format, but cannot write to it.
HFS+ - This is the OS X format - windows cannot read from it nor write to it.

As far as getting an external drive, get any USB external drive you want.

imho, once you get your drive -

Connect it to your PC and format it NTFS.
That is the standard windows format and you will have no worries about file sizes, etc.

On your Mac, grab the software in this thread. It is in beta testing right now, but many of us are using it problem free. Go to post #36 and anatoly has a link there for beta # 2. Install this on your Mac. With this software your Mac will now be able to write to NTFS drives. It looks like the software will probably be around $25-30 once it is released. It's well worth it if you really need to move files back and forth between the two machines on an ongoing basis. There is an option for Windows to be able to read and write to HFS+, but it is $50.

This to me is the best way without having to any worries about file sizes and be able to move data between a Win and a Mac.

Once you get your drive, just google "format a drive in XP".
you'll get several good hits at the top of the page - look for one that tells you how to format a second drive - it's really easy once you do it a couple of times.

Thank you SO much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.