• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Valve's take on lack of games for OSX...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Maybe there's some issues Apple isn't willing to deal with that is holding gaming back, but it's hard to understand when other game makers are doing it.

So, do the EA games run natively or do they run on wine or something similar? I heard they don't run natively and Steve conveniently left that part out of the announcement.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
The EA games run with some kind of what I've seen referred to as 'translation'. I don't know if that's supposed to mean they use some proprietary EA software package that operates similarly to Crossover, or if that means that the code has been recompiled but not optimized for OSX. I do know that people claim that whatever this translation is, it has a detrimental impact on performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The makers of wine have an emulation software that the EA games run on. Steve did leave that out of the presentation. Of course running on emulation as opposed to natively will result in lower performance vs exactly equal hardware on a system that the game is intended to run on.

This can also have a negative impact of putting companies out of business that actually port the code over to run natively, but may allow for many more games on OS X, despite always being put one step behind because of emulation. Also, it could probably lead to bugs, something EA is known for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
EA games use TransGaming's (?) "Cider" technology (a reference to "Wine").

It's not ideal; but it's relatively quick and cheap to do, so we'll see more games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I read Gabe's comments via Ars Technica (they had a link), but to be honest I find it hard to respect him Part of it is the nonsense he spouted about the current generation of consoles and part of it is that he lives up to the stereo-type of a slobbering, ignorant codie who seems to have an opinion on everything. If course, its hard to ignore Half Life, one of the best video games ever.

I'd like to know exactly what it is Apple is not supposed to be providing. Macs are more than capable of playing games, and the relatively restricted hardware variety could actually make it less problematic that developing for the PC. The only real issue is creating two optimised binaries (PPC and Intel), but I think if games are ever really going to make it on the Mac, they'd have to be Intel based.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
What nonsense did he spout about consoles? I missed that.

I'd like to know what he thinks Apple ought to be doing that they're not as well. This is pure speculation on my part, but if I had to guess, I'd say that one of the things on his list is more powerful graphics offerings. The X1900 that is the fastest thing that Apple offers currently is a decent card but it's no longer capable of running the latest and greatest games at high resolutions with the image quality turned up to 11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 15.4" Glossy, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD, Nvidia 8600GT 256MB
I do hope more games make it on the Mac. I also believe that a Mac is more then capable in handling a game. As mentioned by Zoolook if they do make games for the Mac they would need to be Intel based. i think it would be a good compromise to make for making games available on the Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I think one of the problems Valve has is, they want too much control. They want to use steam, and they are tight in the pants about their games. I personally hate steam. I hated it when I used a PC for gaming. Valve is at as much fault as anyone else.

There really shouldn't be any reason why games can't come out for the mac. Why do they even have to negotiate with Apple at all? There are so many applications and even games, that don't have anything to do with Apple. It's just Valve thinks they should be getting special privileges because they are Valve.

Saying the current run macs can't run new games is just moronic. Prey plays fantastic, other games like bioshock play perfect under win slows. I think it's really dumb that people say the macs can't game at all. I hope to see more new games.

I just think the developers need to quit crying and TRY to make a game for the mac. What's the point of moaning about it when you don't do jack in the first place. It makes no sense. Develop or re-compile your code to fit os x and then try it out and go from there, that's all they have to do, experiment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Command and Conquer 3 on my MBP with the x1600 128mb card, runs almost flawlessly with graphic settings turned to high.
Sure it lags when I drop a nuke on some fools, but for a graphics intensive game running on a weak and outdated card, I am very impressed.
As mentioned earlier, what is to stop Valve from making software for the Mac OS X? Why do they need to speak to Apple about it?
Programs and games are created all the time without 'negotiations' with Apple.

*EDIT* Pressed the button too soon before I could finish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I don't like valve games anyway. I do like EA and ID games though, funny how they can find their way to mac. And of course I love WOW. Now if we can just get The Elder Scrolls series on mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
At the time that most games drop, they require the latest and greatest tech to run on high settings at super huge resolutions.

The problem with Apple is they rarely have to latest and greasest GPUs, which is almost the most important part of gaming.

FPS's in particular usually require a ton of graphic processing power. 6 months later though, most the latest and greatest become common.

It wouldn't be in a company's best interest to release a game that will only run on mediocre settings on a computer system without lagging otherwise. Especially when the system doesn't have an option to upgrade the GPU at the time.

The only computer that Apple makes that you can change the video card in is the Mac Pro and you can buy a PC with a better video card for half the price, since having a quad core processor is not important to gaming.

They could release their next game, but if certain users couldn't run it even with the newest iMac, they'd be upset about it and it wouldn't sell well. I guess they could put reccomended specs on there that don't include any Apple Computers.

Apple has gotten better in the video card department. The only thing that I find extremely annoying is that they flip flop brands every generation it seems.

The MBP had an ATI and now has an Nvidia card and the iMac has done the same swap from Nvidia to ATI. They should pick a manufacture and stick with it IMO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.