Problem with New Keyboard under Windows via Boot camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2Ghz, 500GB + Basic Macbook
I have got the new silver thin keyboard, and attached it to my white iMac and have installed the update for it.

When I try to change to windows, you are supposed to hold down alt and i do this but it just loads Mac OS X again, as if it didnt recognise which button i pressed.

Anyone know how I can either change this button or which button I have to convert with?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
I have got the new silver thin keyboard, and attached it to my white iMac and have installed the update for it.

When I try to change to windows, you are supposed to hold down alt and i do this but it just loads Mac OS X again, as if it didnt recognise which button i pressed.

Anyone know how I can either change this button or which button I have to convert with?

Any help would be appreciated.

I just hold down the "alt" key on my MacBook Pro when I need Vista...never tried it on the external keyboard. However "alt" looks like it needs to have a shift with it. "option" in the default for that key on the full size keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Is Windows still in the startup disk preferences in OS X?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah it is. Ill start it and try the command button, and get back to you...

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried command and nothing - anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
I'm so sorry. I could have swore last night when I replied it said White MacBook.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Someone must be running boot camp and a silver keyboard!!

Can you tell me which button to press??

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm having the same problem since I got the new keyboard.

I have a Windows XP partition for gaming that I'm now trapped in because the Alt key on the aluminum thin keyboard isn't recognized at boot-up.

I've tried holding Command... ALT... and Shift-Alt during boot-up. No dice.

I've updated the driver thingamajiggers and everything.

Lame... really wish I hadn't tossed the original white plastic one (that they no longer make).

Fail.

Reaction score
Solution / Workaround

Okay, so I've found a workaround should anyone else on the web have the same issue. I haven't found this on the internet anywhere, so hopefully this will be useful to someone.

Simple really...

On the Windows XP task bar in the lower right-hand corner (next to the time), you should see a gray diamond/square shaped icon. If you hover your cursor over it, you'll see that it's for Boot Camp.

Click the Boot Camp icon. You'll now see that there is an option to 'Reboot in Mac OS X' (or whatever OS you are using).

After the system reboot to the Mac partition, select Applications, then Utilities. There is an option called 'Start Up Drive' (or something like that). Set your start-up to Windows and restart.

Now whenever you turn the machine on, it will boot in Windows and you can use the icon on the task bar to go back to Mac. Not as easy as holding down the Alt/Option key are boot-up, but at least you aren't trapped without access to your other partition anymore.

Enjoy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.