• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Biggest Complaints

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's biggest complaint/annoyance about their mac? My biggest is my Macbooks lack of a memory card slot. I understand why mac left out a reader, but it doesn't make me feel better about it missing when I am trying to upload pics. I was just sitting here looking for the proper wire to connect my camera to my mac in order to download this weekends family outing pictures, and figured I would ask what drives everyone crazy about their machines or software. I love my mac, but like everyting, it has it downfalls. Anyway, just thought I would ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There's not much to complain about it. A couple of minor things. I wish they had used a 54 pin, rather than a 34 pin expresscard slot. That's pretty limiting. I can do without a card reader if I can plug on in there, but 34 pin isn't big enough for a CF card reader.

Also, I don't care for the iSight. It makes the screen bezel big and ugly for something many people don't and probably will rarely, if ever, use. I wish I could cram my MBP hardware into a G5 chassis with the screen that is nice and sleek sans iSight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
My biggest complaint and the only one I can think of is the mighty mouse scroll ball. Mine is dirty. And every way I tried to clean it didn't work. But I'm not that bothered about it. I just now don't use the ball. Just like my old (hockey puck) mouse which didn't have one. More annoying than anything else though.

Also I don't like how apple and others restrict some of their apps. By saying machines under x Mhz aren't suitable. And the app will refuse to run on those machines. I've gotten many apps to run on macs quite a bit less than the minimum specs. Slowly though but it's better than nothing. So I'd rather they all remove this restriction and just have a warning under x Mhz and it's your risk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
My biggest complaint is having o constently hear that macs suck from people who have never even used one. Other than, i don't like how some things dont work with a mac, like m cell phone :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
The fact that is slows down over time... that really gets me. My iMac used to work like greased lightning. Now everything takes a while to... 'happen'. That really sucks.
The OS should have some sort of disk optimization built in. When idle, a prefect disk state should be computed. And then files physically moved as needed to get into that state.
Cuz right now... it sucks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
my biggest complaint about the macbook itself: that it comes with only the barest minimum of video memory.

my biggest complaint about OSX: no mass file rename built right into finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
My biggest complaint are Computer Hypocratical Windows Cult Followers who dog apple computers saying how bad they are.... yet they walk around with an iphone or Ipod...

Question: If this computer battle were to be based in Star Wars terms would Mac be The Light or the Darkside? hmmmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Navigation in finder is awful. I am forever navigating through a torturous directory tree, wanting a detail view when I get there and being dumped back at the root where I started.

I don't think finder in General is as good as it could be, but maybe there are copyright issues - a hybrid of the best of Finder and Windows Explorer would be awesome, but presumably would end up in the world's biggest ever court case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Biggest complaint is that there is no video in port in the back, id like the reassurance that this imac will still be usable long after the hardware dies leaving only the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.0ghz
I have three general complaints:

•MacBook's graphics card is inferior to the iBook's.
•When dealing with same-named directories, Finder overwrites instead of merging (OS X doesn't do this at an OS level, so it merges when using Terminal)
•No easy/safe way to boot Windows or Linux from an external HDD with multiple partitions.

Reaction score
Navigation in finder is awful. I am forever navigating through a torturous directory tree, wanting a detail view when I get there and being dumped back at the root where I started.

I don't think finder in General is as good as it could be, but maybe there are copyright issues - a hybrid of the best of Finder and Windows Explorer would be awesome, but presumably would end up in the world's biggest ever court case.

in leopard there will be a new finder that i think sounds like what you are looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Biggest complaint with my macbook: only 2 usb ports. And there really close together so sometimes you need to unplug one thing to plug in another. I know I could by a 4 port adapter but it would be easier to just have on my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
My biggest complaint is that I can't click on something in one window if it's behind another one. I have to click the window to bring it to the front before I can activate any right clicks or clicking a menu option... unlike Windoze.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
My white Apple Keyboard gets really dirty really quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Biggest complaint with my macbook: only 2 usb ports. And there really close together so sometimes you need to unplug one thing to plug in another. I know I could by a 4 port adapter but it would be easier to just have on my computer.

I have a Belkin 4 port adapter, and it is so small that it isn't a problem to carry around. I can see why you wish there were more than two ports though.

My biggest complaint: My math course has an online program to do homework and it isn't compatible with OS X. So I have to use my roommate's Toshiba to do my math homework. Also, I don't like how pages don't maximize to take up the whole screen unless I drag the corner and make it take up the whole screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Biggest complaint with my macbook: only 2 usb ports.

Now I have heard this from countless people and quite frankly... I have never really understood it. A notebook is a portable computer. It is meant to be used "on the go" and moved from place to place. The idea of cramming 537 USB ports (okay, I exaggerate a little) on a computer that is technically not meant to be "tied down" or "tethered" is just plain silly and goes against the very design and purpose of the machine.

Want to add a mouse?.... fine, you're covered.
Want to connect your iPod quickly?... again, no problem.

But when you expect a portable notebook computer to have countless peripheral connectors on board, you are starting to really lose the concept of what a portable computer is. It isn't really meant to be used in place of a desktop (though many people do just that).

Sure, I have a 7-port USB hub that I use with my PowerBook when I am at my desk at home. That connects my external HD, Scanner, Printer, mouse, iPod, camera and still leaves me with connections open. This doesn't change the fact that when I am not at my desk, I could care less how many ports are open since I really don't connect much of anything to it when I am not at my desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Now I have heard this from countless people and quite frankly... I have never really understood it. A notebook is a portable computer. It is meant to be used "on the go" and moved from place to place. The idea of cramming 537 USB ports (okay, I exaggerate a little) on a computer that is technically not meant to be "tied down" or "tethered" is just plain silly and goes against the very design and purpose of the machine.

Want to add a mouse?.... fine, you're covered.
Want to connect your iPod quickly?... again, no problem.

But when you expect a portable notebook computer to have countless peripheral connectors on board, you are starting to really lose the concept of what a portable computer is. It isn't really meant to be used in place of a desktop (though many people do just that).

Sure, I have a 7-port USB hub that I use with my PowerBook when I am at my desk at home. That connects my external HD, Scanner, Printer, mouse, iPod, camera and still leaves me with connections open. This doesn't change the fact that when I am not at my desk, I could care less how many ports are open since I really don't connect much of anything to it when I am not at my desk.

Yes, it is suppose to be portable, but my computer sits at my desk more often than not, just like most people probably. I dont even want 4 or 5 usb ports. Just 3 separated ports will do me fine. Sometimes I only have one port because my flash drive is too big to have another usb plugged in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.