external hard drive???

E

ether108

hello everyone, just got my eMac and before i started importing hundreds of audio cds onto the 80g hd i thought about the viability of using an external hard drive. i have little if any knowledge about the new ext. hds out there. so my question is;

could i get the audio data to the ext. hd exclusively, i mean without it dedicating it to memory on the internal hd?

and if so, is it even possible to get my iTunes to import/export the data to and from the external hd?

thanx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
What you are looking to do is actually pretty easy since you have a firewire port. Here is a bit that may help

OP
E

ether108

thanx for the info, you're really on the ball, so if i get the ext. hd i would use the iTunes>file>import/export options to get the data to and from the ext. hd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
This sounds right to me - I have not tried it. I think you would mount the ext drive so you can see it in the finder and then AFAIK just as you said seems right

OP
E

ether108

thanx again, i foresee an expensive test at hand, but hey someone has to do it, right? thank god for receipts/return policies....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
I am using a USB hard drive only for my music, iTunes works without a flaw, to change iTunes to the hard drive.

step 1: copy iTunes folder from music and put it on the external drive
step 2: delete the itunes folder from internal
step 3: open iTunes(it will recreate the folder without the music)
step 3: press command + , (preferences) inside itunes
step 4: in advance change the itunes folder to the one on the external hard drive

it's done

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I did exactly what The New Guy posted last week with my new Lacie 160GB ext HDD and it worked perfectly.

rberry88

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.