How to download streaming video onto hard drive?

Reaction score
Any ideas on how I can actually download a short streaming video I found on the web? It plays rather jerky (perhaps because I have a rather slow DSL connection), but I wonder if I was able to copy the data on my hard drive that perhaps I can watch it properly. A lengthy internet surf for software to do this proved futile. There seem to be dozens of apps for Windows machines to do this, but not for Mac. Does QuickTime Pro have this capability?
tia

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Safari - 'Window' menu -> 'Activity'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
What he/she said. Then, double click the file that's downloading. It's usually the biggest file. It'll be downloaded to your desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
then once its on your desktop, just add the file extension .flv

you can then change the format using mpeg streamclip

OP
G
Reaction score
still doesn't work

You know, the problem with technically challenged chaps like me is that we can't find the vocabulary to clearly state the question. The thing is, the little vid clip I want to download does not actually seem capable of being downloaded. It just wants to play in a streaming (if that's the word?) fashion. When I click on the link that has the video, it opens up as a web page with only the video there (the page is otherwise blank); so when I go to Menu>Window>Activity all I get is the url that I am already looking at; there are no downloadable 'elements' other than the page with the little vid on it. Phhheeeww! That's the best I can do in words. But I've included a 'capture' photo of what I am looking at.
Again, Thanks a million for your time with this.

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to put this in the last reply message.

/Users/Lindsay/Desktop/Picture 1.png

Reaction score
This is how it's done ...

I'll try to make this simple and straightforward -

First, most embedded video files which cannot be downloaded are Flash movies, with extension .flv.

Youtube, Googlevideo, and others all use mostly Flash movies. You cannot right click and download those movies like most others, what you do is this -

1) With the page open, navigate to Safari menu --} Window --} Activity

2) If you did this correctly, a small activity window will appear. ( see pic)

3) Now, how do you find the movie file in the Activity window and download The smart thing to do, which I do, is observe the entry where it shows a download in progress,which steadily goes up, and that is the video.

See the attached pic where it shows 1.2 MB OF 8.5, when a youtube video is playing.

Another way is just to look at right side for the largest file, that will be the video.

4) Once you have found it, double click it. It will download as a .flv file. To play it, you need VLC PLayer, or Perian installed to allow Quicktime to play .flv files.

If you have any questions let me know, but I think these instructions are pretty clear --

View attachment Picture 1.pdf

View attachment Picture 3.pdf

OP
G
Reaction score
I'll try to make this simple and straightforward -

First, most embedded video files which cannot be downloaded are Flash movies, with extension .flv.

Youtube, Googlevideo, and others all use mostly Flash movies. You cannot right click and download those movies like most others, what you do is this -

1) With the page open, navigate to Safari menu --} Window --} Activity

2) If you did this correctly, a small activity window will appear. ( see pic)

3) Now, how do you find the movie file in the Activity window and download The smart thing to do, which I do, is observe the entry where it shows a download in progress,which steadily goes up, and that is the video.

See the attached pic where it shows 1.2 MB OF 8.5, when a youtube video is playing.

Another way is just to look at right side for the largest file, that will be the video.

4) Once you have found it, double click it. It will download as a .flv file. To play it, you need VLC PLayer, or Perian installed to allow Quicktime to play .flv files.

If you have any questions let me know, but I think these instructions are pretty clear --

Those procedures don't work with this clip. When I open the Activity box this is what I get: http://media.cheltcoll.gloucs.sch.uk/marketing/choirboy320.mp4 0 bytes. Nothing is downloadable, the video just starts streaming. There is no data to download, it says "0 bytes"

Reaction score
You could upgrade to QuickTime Pro, 70 bucks, then right click and Save as Source ... It still may be able to download without upgrading, can you give me the link BEFORE u clicked the play link, the page just before the movie plays.

Its not flash movie but MPEG, but it can possibly be downloaded ..

T

todd51

Wow, I never knew you could do this, and there were so many YouTube videos I wanted to download..

Learn something new every day :)

Thanks guys!

OP
G
Reaction score
You could upgrade to QuickTime Pro, 70 bucks, then right click and Save as Source ... It still may be able to download without upgrading, can you give me the link BEFORE u clicked the play link, the page just before the movie plays.

Its not flash movie but MPEG, but it can possibly be downloaded ..

This is the link: http://www.boysoloist.com/boysoprano-featured.asp?artgroup=featured
Then you have to scroll down the alphabetical list of names to 'Andrew Swait', then click on one of his links, this one: 'West Today News ITV April 23rd'

Thanks again.

Reaction score
You're right on this one .. this is one of those 'bummer' times when its not downloadable, and they probably did it in purpose, the only way would be upgrading to QuickTime Pro for that particular video -

OP
G
Reaction score
You're right on this one .. this is one of those 'bummer' times when its not downloadable, and they probably did it in purpose, the only way would be upgrading to QuickTime Pro for that particular video -

Yeah, I'll have to think about maybe getting QuickTime Pro. But then, can I be sure that it will be able to download videos like this? (although, I realize it can do lots of other things I might need down the road). And then, of course, there is the 'resentment' factor. I resent having to pay another 30 bucks to Apple, after I just spent $1300 for a new iMac.
...Cheers...

Reaction score
Yeah you can relax about being able to download it with Pro, just check and right click -- you'll see Save as Source, but it will be greyed out as a Pro option, but if you want the video bad enough, it'l lwork -

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.