G5 or Mac Mini for Studio??! Please help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I'll start off with a bit of background info. I am running a home based recording studio using an old slow and tired G4, 450mhz single processor with 512 RAM. I run and record with the latest version of Pro Tools LE (7.3 I think) with an Mbox 1, and I have recently started experiencing bounce problems which are basically indicating I need to upgrade! The main reason I have just this week decided I have to do it ASAP is that I have been trying to bounce a large file for a paying client (70mins in length) in Pro Tools and it more or less laughs at me for thinking it could handle a bounce of that size.

I was wondering if anyone may be able to point me in the right direction, as I am going to buy either a new Mac Mini with dual 2.0ghz processors, 1gb RAM and 120gb hard drive, or a used G5 dual 2.0ghz 4gb RAM and 2 hard drives equalling about 400gb. Either will set me back in the region of £600 - 700, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me the pros and cons of both for audio production and editing?

And more importantly, if an experienced Pro Tools or audio user thinks my 70min bounce will be fine with either of these machines?! That is my highest priority at the moment! I only have one plug in open which is the oZone iZotope mastering plug in..

I look forward to hearing anyone's thoughts...

Many thanks in advance!

Chris @ The Beat Hut

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.