PDA

View Full Version : Next great Apple product: A modern Newton or a Macbook Touch?

fleurya
09-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Just saw these new rumors online.

Newton 2 (http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/26/is-apple-working-on-a-multi-touch-based-newton-successor/)

Macbook Touch (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/mock-up/apple-macbook-touch-concept-and-thoughts-on-the-newton-2-rumors-303927.php)

Does anyone think either of these have a chance of being real? I would vote for the Macbook before another Newton, but chances are it won't look that good.

RONE
09-26-2007, 07:20 PM
They need to hurry up and make a touch macbook

AtTheCross
09-26-2007, 08:07 PM
1.5 times the size of an iPhone? I would not want one, too big.

amrk47
09-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Just saw these new rumors online.

Newton 2 (http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/26/is-apple-working-on-a-multi-touch-based-newton-successor/)

Macbook Touch (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/mock-up/apple-macbook-touch-concept-and-thoughts-on-the-newton-2-rumors-303927.php)

Does anyone think either of these have a chance of being real? I would vote for the Macbook before another Newton, but chances are it won't look that good.

what OS is that on the "Touch macbook"?

cheesybanana
09-26-2007, 09:20 PM
No way. No market.

Add a few apps to the iPhone or the Touch, and you will have everything you would need.

smeshy123
09-26-2007, 09:37 PM
if a touch laptop comes out, I'll be the first in line :)

fleurya
09-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Plans for another Newton PDA/UMPC crossover could be the reason they're limiting the functionality of the Touch.

cheesybanana
09-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Plans for another Newton PDA/UMPC crossover could be the reason they're limiting the functionality of the Touch.

Maybe. I just really couldn't see Apple trying again. It would fill out their product line pretty nice. From the Shuffle to the Mac Pro.

caloge
09-26-2007, 10:02 PM
i think the tablet macbook is a good idea, im not personally crazy about it and would never buy it but I think there is a small market out there for tablets that apple has not tapped yet, maybe a swivel tablet makes more sense with a keyboard, still not my thing but its more versatile, but what do i know

kaidomac
09-26-2007, 11:32 PM
That Macbook tablet does look pretty nice...it's like a portable version of Microsoft Surface :D

davidgallant
09-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Dell has a tablet coming out but if apple did release one, i am sure they would crush the opposition

ki99
09-27-2007, 12:04 AM
what OS is that on the "Touch macbook"?
OS X 10.5 - "Leopard". Due out this October.

that would make a lot of sense. but i really can just see them making the iphone more pda as it progresses rather than something like a new newton.

but it IS apple, so you never know.

iNewton ;)

isb6481
09-27-2007, 12:25 AM
who needs a touch laptop?!

nokialed
09-27-2007, 05:58 AM
touch screens are just a pain. hard to use accurately. thats why a mouse pointer is tiny, unlike your big clumsy fingers.

plus, how do you type on them? touch screen typing is so slow.

i cant see much use for them. the only people who seem to use touch screen tablets are delivery drivers and repair men.

alexfromtheland
09-27-2007, 04:04 PM
yeah, i wouldnt want one, it would be cool to have touch screen on a laptop with a keyboard but meh not only touch screen.

fleurya
09-27-2007, 04:10 PM
touch screens are just a pain. hard to use accurately. thats why a mouse pointer is tiny, unlike your big clumsy fingers.

plus, how do you type on them? touch screen typing is so slow.

i cant see much use for them. the only people who seem to use touch screen tablets are delivery drivers and repair men.

In case you haven't seen any PDAs over the past 10+ years, there is handwriting recognition that's plenty fast when you're good at it.

There are lots of applications for tablets, it just you don't know about them unless you're in a situation. I wish I had one this semester for classes: 3 of them are in a room with old high school style desks, so I can't use my MBP. However, a guy that sits next to me has a tablet, so he gets along fine using his computer.

nokialed
09-27-2007, 04:33 PM
In case you haven't seen any PDAs over the past 10+ years, there is handwriting recognition that's plenty fast when you're good at it.

There are lots of applications for tablets, it just you don't know about them unless you're in a situation. I wish I had one this semester for classes: 3 of them are in a room with old high school style desks, so I can't use my MBP. However, a guy that sits next to me has a tablet, so he gets along fine using his computer.

yeh ive got and use a pda, and i would bet my years wages you cant type half as quick using the stylus as i can with a keyboard. its ok, but nowhere near as fast.

fleurya
09-27-2007, 05:10 PM
One more time: you don't have to type on an onscreen keyboard, you use a stylus to write just like handwriting and the computer recognizes the writing and turns it into text for you. Of course it's not as fast as typing on a keyboard, nothing is, but it's a lot better than typing one letter at a time with a stylus the way you're describing.

caloge
09-27-2007, 08:55 PM
what would be cool is if it had somehting like this. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Bluetooth-Laser-Virtual-Keyboard-for-PDA-Smartphone-PC_W0QQitemZ130156045467QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4706QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
but built in.
So you could use it as a tablet, then stand it on a desk and it be like a notebook.

nokialed
09-28-2007, 03:26 AM
One more time: you don't have to type on an onscreen keyboard, you use a stylus to write just like handwriting and the computer recognizes the writing and turns it into text for you. Of course it's not as fast as typing on a keyboard, nothing is, but it's a lot better than typing one letter at a time with a stylus the way you're describing.

im not talking about one letter at a time, ONE MORE TIME FOR YOU, i have and USE a PDA. i know how to use the stylus to do handwriting. but its still 50 times slower than typing.

maybe before you get all high and mighty you should read my post. if i own a PDA its a fair bet i know what you are talking about!

Hogester
09-28-2007, 03:36 AM
If holographic keyboards become reality, this would be an awesome product

MikeYMS
09-28-2007, 11:19 AM
a laptop with a touchscreen app isn't a feasible thing. I've seen this discussion before, and the best answer is this.

Ok. Take your right hand. Hold it up to your monitor. Wait for 25 minutes. Imagine keeping your hand there all day long while sitting...you think carpal tunnel is bad? Wait til you have serious issues with your arm. Things like the iPhone and iPod Touch are meant to be small because of the angle they need to be held at to keep pressure on the muscles in your arm down.

Tablet PCs/Macs really look cool...but how feasible are they for 90% of the computer user market? I can see a great use for them in the medical field...but your average user isn't going to need that.

Newton? Come on...no need to bring back one of Apple's worst failures. Leave that brand name dead. The iPhone and iPod Touch are truly a wave of the future in the regard of portable, palm-sized computers...But for those of you waiting for your Star Trek "Tricorder"...better keep waiting. ;)

fleurya
09-28-2007, 11:34 AM
i would bet my years wages you cant type half as quick using the stylus

There. You said typing using a stylus, not writing. I read your response correctly, you just didn't word your response very well. Eventually the writing becomes typeface, but calling it typing with a stylus is not exactly correct and not the best way to word it when discussing the differences between typing and writing.

goobimama
09-28-2007, 12:38 PM
I think a Macbook Touch would be perfect. Its not going to be like the current systems in the market, where you need a stylus. Pretty sure its gonna have the same multitouch surface of the iPhone and that would be great. Typing with an intelligent keyboard which floats to wherever you want it to would be great. Of course, I hope they also include a stylus for accurate stuff, but fingers have proven themselves with the iPhone.

Macbook Touch, here I come!

RONE
09-28-2007, 02:57 PM
I think a Macbook Touch would be perfect. Its not going to be like the current systems in the market, where you need a stylus. Pretty sure its gonna have the same multitouch surface of the iPhone and that would be great. Typing with an intelligent keyboard which floats to wherever you want it to would be great. Of course, I hope they also include a stylus for accurate stuff, but fingers have proven themselves with the iPhone.

Macbook Touch, here I come!

I think people are missing out on the benefits of also having a stylus... I am part of the first veterinary class to be given laptops by the school. All of our notes are given to us in .pdf files, and then we "print" them into a program called OneNote. Using our stylus, we take notes directly onto the "printed" pages, so instead of having 400 pages of notes every semester for 4 years, we have a laptop with a few gigs of notes. I don't see how a touch laptop is going to be more beneficial than a stylus, seeing as you wouldn't be able to take notes like I am.

goobimama
09-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Like I said, it should be dual mode along with a stylus. I bet you its easier to surf the web and move stuff here and there with your fingers than it is with a stylus...

Dimitri
09-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Like I said, it should be dual mode along with a stylus. I bet you its easier to surf the web and move stuff here and there with your fingers than it is with a stylus...
I agree. In general, I don't care for using a stylus but I can see situations where one would be more useful than just fingers. So, having it there as an option would be best.

Rowe2ry
09-30-2007, 11:40 PM
I say with modern touch screens that have no "dual layer" (like a layer of plastic 1 mm above a lower screen making it inaccurate, which I';ve seen) a stylus based Macbook touch would be killer for photoshopping, or should I say pixelmating?

if you don't know what I'm talking about with a "dual layer" touch screen, it's like a screen where, unless you are looking straight on, when you put the point of a stylus on the screen, a pixel will be selected slightly to the side due to depth of 2 overlapping screens. It's the equivalent of looking into a pond, reaching in to grab a fish and missing because the light was bent by the surface tension of the water

alexmaccoll
10-06-2007, 05:37 AM
The tablet for me would be hugely useful. Right now I am sufficing (JUST) with an acer travelmate C113. I run a memory and data business, and regularly do stock checks around the warehouse, as well as greeting shipments and sending them out, and having a tiny portable with me at all times is really handy, means i don't get behind.

Alex

goobimama
10-06-2007, 05:49 AM
The Mac tablet should be nothing like the crap that is the TabletPC. I can hardly control anything on it. Plus you are so scared of damaging the screen. I'd say something like those Wacom Cintiq tablet's without the pressure sensitivity and other advanced stuff...