Noise from dvd drive and other stuff (macbook)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Basic MB
Hey lads, just picked up the basic macbook thing today. It's all good, but i have a few questions.

When i put a cd/dvd in the drive it makes a pretty loud loading sound that I understand is normal. But when the disc starts rotating it sounds like a freaking jumbo taking off, you get the idea. Just playing a normal audio cd makes a lot of noise, how normal is this?

I've installed microsoft messenger (can't believe i finally got myself a mac and the first thing i do is install microsoft software) and i can't see anyones profile picture, just the messenger logo, why is this?

And now probably a really lame question, whats up with the icon thing on my desktop that i cant remove. It's this white thing with the text microsoft messenger under it, i tried dragging it to the trashcan no luck unless I close down the program running. But then it comes back as soon as i open the program again? Whats up with this?

I have a sony walkman nwa-1000, does anybody know how i get the connect software to work? is there a mac version or do i have to install winxp aswell?

Hope someone can help me out, and im pretty sure ill have a few more questions during the week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
The Super/Combo drive can get noisy when a disk is played. If it's really bothering you and feel that it's not normal, take it to the Genius Bar and have them look at it.

Skip MS Messenger and install Adium; way better! http://www.adiumx.com

Lame Question Answer: It sounds like you are running MSN Messenger from the disk image (.dmg). Did you drag the app to the applications folder? On most mac apps, you double click the dmg file and drap the application to your applications folder. Once that's done, eject the disk image from the finder (or ctrl click the desktop icon). Then run the app from the applications folder.

Can't help you with the Sony Walkman question...sorry.

Hope those answers help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Basic MB
Wee, I installed amsn since I only use msn, and it seems to work perfectly, without the dodgy looking icon on my desktop.

I talked to a friend who also just bougth a macbook and his combo drive makes the same noise so i guess it's perfectly normal...

About the connect software i guess i'll just have keep searching. From what I've found so far it's seems that sony doesnt really give a ---- about mac users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
it's seems that sony doesnt really give a ---- about mac users.

lol, keep in mind that sony makes vaio's. laptops that use WINDOWS (or linux ;))

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.