Non mac webcam

Reaction score
i just bought a new webcam because it was 1/5 of the price and was hoping to get it to work with my ibook, but it won't connect to skype, i can see myself on the monitor window but cant get it to broadcast. any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
What model of webcam is it?
What version of Skype have you installed?

OP
R
Reaction score
non mac webcam

there in lies part of the problem i am sure. my webcam is a taiwan brand by the name of icecam. it was the only one that had mac software that was in english. (i live in taiwan). i have skype version 2.6.0.151

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well, if you're gonna accept advice of "buy a new webcam proven to work with a Mac", I'd say buy a RocketFish webcam. I have one that I bought to work with my iSightless Mac Mini. It has Mac drivers, and works with iChat USB, probably skype, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
You could pick up a iSight on ebay, but they're quite expensive at the moment ever since they stopped being sold because of their non RoHs compliance

Reaction score
icecam by Macally

The IceCam is made by MacAlly, you can download Mac drivers for it at www.macally.com. Not a great cam, very low resolution and blurry but it works ok on 10.2-10.4 - doesn't seem to like leopard in my testing needs an update.

FYI: So many Mac users are frustrated trying to find hassle-free Apple Macintosh compatible webcam's, so I set up a site devoted to that. http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/ At least on newer Macs running 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard - UVC - Universal Video Class compliant USB webcams JUST WORK - no drivers needed. UVC is also supported Natively on Windows VISTA - so we _finally_ have a web cam standard. UVC will make alot of these hassles a non issue in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Apple has a USB one, The Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision w/1.3 megapixels for 129.95. Thats the same as the built in iSights.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The Logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks works with Skype at least under Tiger on my PowerMac G5. Logitech doesn't claim that this camera is supported by Macs, but it is (again, at least under Tiger on my PowerMac G5).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.