Running Linux on Tangerine iMac

Reaction score
Is it possibly to install Obuntu Linux on a Tangerine iMac:

I work for a non-profit; in the office, we have a Tangerine iMac that just sits there, because of the OS being obscurely out of date - it can't even user a 'modern' browser. I would like make it at least usable for web browsing...

Doesn't anyone know/have of STEP-BY-STEP instructions on how to install Obuntu Linux on a Tangerine iMac. Admittedly, I'm more of a PC user.

I tried the cmd-option-c-.... to restart the Mac with the Linux Boot Disk in the drive. Computer didn't recognize it and went directly to OS9.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Hello, make sure you burned a PPC (powerPC) version of the disk since the standard i386 (x86) disk won't work (I assume that iMac has a G3 in it?). Also try holding down C and boot the computer up with the disk in the drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you.

Yes, it's a G3, and I will certainly try that.

Craig

Couldn't find a PowerPc version on the Ubuntu site. The options for download are:

- Standard personal computer (x86 architecture, PentiumTM, CeleronTM, AthlonTM, SempronTM)
- 64bit AMD and Intel computers
- Sun UltraSPARC based

Any suggestions?

Hello, make sure you burned a PPC (powerPC) version of the disk since the standard i386 (x86) disk won't work (I assume that iMac has a G3 in it?). Also try holding down C and boot the computer up with the disk in the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.