Wireless Printing

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought an HP1022WS printer to use with my G4 Mac and my G3 iBook. It works beautifully with a direct USB cable but I'm not sure how to make it connect wirelesly. I keep reading about Bonjour yet can't find it. Do I need an Airport Express Base Station?

Thanks,

Sam

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can't find that printer model to determine what level of wireless support it offers. Is it Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (or both)?

Typically, the manual should describe the installation process. If it's Bluetooth, you should be able to connect directly to it fairly easily. If it's Wi-Fi, that's another story.

OP
S
Reaction score
Bluetooth

Thanks.

I believe yet am not sure that it is Bluetooth. The printer came with a wireless "upgrade" dongle that plugs into the printer port. Also a USB plug that, I guess, plugs into the Mac's USB port. These two devices are supposed to communicate with each other.

Thanks again,

Sam

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks.

I believe yet am not sure that it is Bluetooth. The printer came with a wireless "upgrade" dongle that plugs into the printer port. Also a USB plug that, I guess, plugs into the Mac's USB port. These two devices are supposed to communicate with each other.

Thanks again,

Sam

The dongle probably plugs into the printer itself - I'm guessing that's a Bluetooth adapter. Once you've done that, it's simply a matter of connecting a new Bluetooth device on your BT-enabled Mac (assuming you have one - I'm not familiar with the G3 models, but I believe some of the G4s do). This is done through the Bluetooth applet in the System Preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.