What would cause firefox to...

Reaction score
run significantly slower than Safari? This wasn't always the case, but lately there will be times when switching browsers will cause a noticeable difference in speed.
I prefer FF over Safari and don't want to switch, is there anything I can do to change FF's performance? Clear private data, delete cookies etc?
I have the Fasterfox add-on FWIW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
Try uninstalling it and installing a fresh copy??

I fine Safari to be realllly slow anyway.. and use Firefox.

Is Safari ment to be a slow browser? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
Try uninstalling it and installing a fresh copy??

I fine Safari to be realllly slow anyway.. and use Firefox.

Is Safari ment to be a slow browser? lol

safari is the fastest (and imo best) browser i have ever used.

as for the OP, i would suggest running a program like Onyx ( http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html ) to clear out the caches. it's good to use something like that to clean out your system every once in a while to keep it running it's best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah i read that it was quicker ect.. but it seems to be slow for me and i have a 20M connection.. go figure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
safari 3.0 is very fast
and very bugy
it takes forever to start up tho

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i just find that it is slow in general :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Strange. Safari 3 is like lightning here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I agree, Safari 3 is fast and bugy. Been trying out Firefox, it crashes sometimes, and I feel some pages it is faster than Safari, while others it is not. Overall, I think I stick with Safari....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
If you're low on ram, ff might act slower. Safari uses part of the OS which of course gets dibs on system resources. Unfair?
Restart your machine and only launch firefox and surf around. Is it any faster?
Oh, and turn off fasterfox. It may make the throughput faster but it takes resources to run so that defeats the purpose. This of course depends on your machine - if it's a slow machine, fasterfox will probably make you slower.

Reaction score
I've read on a few sites, Mozillazine's help forums among them, that Fasterfox sometimes hinders rather than speeds Firefox.

You might try disabling or deleting Fasterfox and experimenting with the add-on Tweak Network.

It's an older extension (I used it for years) that I read doesn't go to Fasterfox's extremes and that apparently overwhelms some servers, thereby slowing the connections rather than having the opposite effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
i hate safari cause i cant type in a adress while it loads. and i loooooooooovve tabs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Personally I always found safari to be the faster of the two (but only slightly though) and firefox to be more stable and more customisable. So for me I use firefox for most things and keep safari in reserve for the odd file or page firefox doesn't like.

Safari 2 though. I'm not going to use version 3 till it's properly released (ie not a beta).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol I downloaded FF and I now have it installed but am not using it atm.

Am i correct in thinking Safari 2 is what is installed with Tiger and 3 obviously is yet to come out??

I have been using it and it seems ok lately, i formatted my mac tho so maybe that was why it was a bit slower, who knows.

I think im just a long time FF user from PC days lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.