Wavy Floating Lines in Vista ( BootCamp )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2.4 C2D Al
Hi All,

I recently purchased the New Imac 20" 2.4 Ghz Aluminium with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB.

The display works perfect for Mac OS. But the problem lies with the Vista 32 Bit i installed with BootCamp.

There are light vertical wavy floating lines visible on the screen.They are more clearly seen when you look the screen at an angle, from down below you look upwards to the screen. The floating lines can be precisely seen on grey backgrounds. These lines are not noticable much, but when you closely look with grey backgrounds, they are visible.

There is a strange problem, as i update the ATI drivers in Vista, the problem goes off,only when you update with new or old drivers the screen flickers and the new drivers are installed but as soon the system restarts or the screen is brought back from sleep, again same wavy floating lines.

I am not able to figure out, where the problem lies, is with the hardware, the graphic card, display or the drivers. With Mac OS, the display is perfect.

Please help me.

Thanks,
Kunal

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you have the Vista virus on your Mac. The solution would be to remove Vista and install XP in its place. :D

But seriously...

Are you using the drivers included with the Boot Camp CD or have you gone out and gotten the drivers from ATI? If the latter, I would strongly recommend using the Boot Camp drivers as they've been specifically designed for your Mac.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2.4 C2D Al
Sounds like you have the Vista virus on your Mac. The solution would be to remove Vista and install XP in its place. :D

But seriously...

Are you using the drivers included with the Boot Camp CD or have you gone out and gotten the drivers from ATI? If the latter, I would strongly recommend using the Boot Camp drivers as they've been specifically designed for your Mac.

First, the problem persists with BootCamp Drivers as well. Then i thought, trying the latest ATI drivers, but the same problem persists with all.

Still trying to figure out where does the problem lie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
And you have no problems whatsoever with graphics on the mac side? Not even the odd graphic artifact or lockup now and then?

Reaction score
So, I have the EXACT same problem. 20" Aluminum iMac purchased 1st gen. Wavy lines in vista. Using leopard drivers as well. ATI ones didn't help either.

Did you find a solution? Should I take my machine in under warranty?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you check the refresh rate in Screen Resolution settings? I believe it should be 60Hz on the iMacs.

Reaction score

But seriously...

installing XP would be a very very bad idea vista is the best os there is

T

todd51

What about just trying to pop in the Bootcamp driver disc again and repair the drivers? Maybe for some reason the video drivers didn't load properly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
installing XP would be a very very bad idea vista is the best os there is

Please tell me your tongue was firmly in cheek on that comment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.