Help please, WINXP Access on MAC OS

Reaction score
Hey guys,

i will state my problem/issue 1st then if some one could redirect me or inform me would be greatly appreicated.

Basically i have tried to search the site for post/theards that come close to the issue i have however i couldn't find any.
Possibly its becuase i have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to MAC's given i have been a PC player all my life...

So here we go...
I have a Macbook, its quite new and it has come to me with a hard drive that has been parted 35gig for Mac and 20gig called winxp.
i need the computer to dj, using a program called serato scratch live.
I put alot of music on the mac drive and the program itself so i have roughly 4gig left on the mac drive.
I want to put more music on the winxp side but i can't put any files on that drive.
Im not too good at mac's, so i opened the finder for the USB i used to bring across the files and then i opened another finder for the winxp and try to drag files across and i get a cannot be moved because "WINXP" cannot be modified.

Basically i'm wondering if this is becuase i'm not using the winxp to start and runn the computer.
I would like to use the Mac OS using the SL (scratch live) program with the tracks i have on the mac drive but i would also like to access MP3's that i'll put on the WINXP drive while using a program installed in the mac drive.

I hope someone can understand my problem, and i also hope i havn't double posted. If so i'm sorry...

Cheers,

Aaron.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
OSX can't write to NTFS partitions, although there are software solutions that apparently work. Do a search.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here is the link knightlie is referring to.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks you very much bobtomay for your help, i have tried a search but dont know what i'm searching for knightlie, thanks for your understanding any ways.
i shall try this link...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' MBP Santa Rosa, 2.2 , 8600M GT, 120GB 5400RPM, DL DVD+/-RW SuperDrive
Umm...best thing I can give you is MacDrive by MediaFour for XP to read and write to the HFS+ partition but I don't know know how stable/reliable it is...yet = )

EDIT:
Sorry I guess the above won't help. Try this: MacFuse. I don't know if it's still being developed though. I've read that dev has been stopped and other sources say that it just has been temporarily halted. Some of the Mac guru's should know more about it though, I'm still learning everything Mac O:)

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
im feeling that i would just have to drop in a external hard drive while playing to store additional tracks and not worry about the winxp part of the internal hard drive...
does that sound more realiable....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks guys,
im feeling that i would just have to drop in a external hard drive while playing to store additional tracks and not worry about the winxp part of the internal hard drive...
does that sound more realiable....

One thing I am not sure of, do you USE Windows XP at all? Do you ever boot into XP or just OSX?

OP
D
Reaction score
to my knowledge i dont use it and dont know how so i guess its just a waste of space atm...

Reaction score
Given the amount of free space you have left over, ~4 gigs, you are going to have serious trouble! Both Windows and Macs use drive space for swapping around data necessary for normal operations. With that little space the computer is going to run slower.
I would get another storage drive. Format it in FAT32 so both the Windows and Mac sides can read/write. You would need to format it on the Mac with Disk Utility because Mr. Gates has restricted FAT to just 32 gig partitions under XP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
to my knowledge i dont use it and dont know how so i guess its just a waste of space atm...

The reason I asked is this, Why not remove XP and the Bootcamp partition and then all the space will be available to OSX. If you want to do this, check for Bootcamp in the utilities folder and run it. There will be an option to convert back to one partition and zap Windows. I have done that probably 10 times now on my Intel Mini as I just installed XP to help others with Bootcamp.

Also getting an external drive will give you more room also like others have suggested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
so why do you need both os's? I use serato on my macbook to dj, and my dell win xp desktop at home to sort all the music, and i keep it in fat32. the transition is seamless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz 2GB
If you are not using the XP Drive. First back up anything you got on the WIN XP drive and just go into Disk Utility and format it for FAT. So that little partition will be blank and you can just use it to copy paste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
No the best way (if you dont need the data on the WinXP drive and want to delete it) is to go to Applications, then Utilities, then Boot Camp Assistant and chose to restore the drive to Mac OS only. That will delete all the data on the Windows partition and add it to the Mac partition, so you should have all the space freed.

If for some reason Boot Camp Assistant is not there you can install it, you'll need to download it from Apple. Its about 300mb iirc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.