Xbox 360 and MBP Internet

Reaction score
What I want to do is use my macbook pros ethernet port to plug an ethernet cord into and plug the other end of the cord into the back of my xbox 360 (theoreticaly it could be another computer) and have that other computer or my xbox 360 use the internet my macbook pro is getting wirelessly.

Is there any way to do this?

Reaction score
Go to the sharing pane in your system preferences. The should be three tabs of which one will be internet.

Select what connection your macbook is getting (most likely your wireless which would be airport)

Check the boxes for ethernet, and uncheck airport under the "To computers using:" section.

Now all you have to do is select start. What options you need to do in you 360 is up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
a router is the easiest way

OP
A
Reaction score
Go to the sharing pane in your system preferences. The should be three tabs of which one will be internet.

Select what connection your macbook is getting (most likely your wireless which would be airport)

Check the boxes for ethernet, and uncheck airport under the "To computers using:" section.

Now all you have to do is select start. What options you need to do in you 360 is up to you.

Hmmm, that's definitely on the right path, but it still doesnt connect to xbox live. What's a gateway or subnet mask? I wonder if I'd need to put those in manually on my xbox??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
XBOX live is a very particular service. Even with a broadband router it requires support of UPNP (Universal Plug and Play) or an entry in the DMZ host slot to work properly. By work properly I mean showing up as highly available and not restricted, use your network troubleshooter to see your status on the XBOX 360.

I get the feeling you already have a broadband router as your mac is getting on the internet wirelessly in which case it sounds like you need the XBOX 360 Wireless adapter. I don't think you are going to be able to McGuyver yourself a wired connection the way you are describing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.