• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Buy a macbook now or later ?

Reaction score

Hey guys!!

i was just exploring some mac sites and read some rumours that mac will come up wity new portable computer like with touchscreens and stuff.. having created the iphone and ipod touch using the same system.. i just wanted to know if it's better to but a macbook straight away when leopard get unleashed from it's cage or wait a bit for newer comps?

Thankss !!

ciaoz :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
I would wait until November/December to buy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
no need in waiting for a newer one, there is always rumors and always something big around the corner. i have not heard any rumors that hold water about a touch screen macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Unless you are dead sure there's gonna be a new one, don't wait. I mean, it would have been silly to buy an iPod a week before 5th september event where everyone knew there was something cooking up in the iPods department. There's no indication of a new macbook so now is as good as any to get a new one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.4.10 MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Agreed,I wouldn't wait either. New products will always hit the market regardlessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There's a possible update in January.

Nothing fancy like touchscreen though. There are constant false rumours about touchscreens, but people don't realise that their use is just not practical on a computer.

Save it for phones/ipods and pub quiz machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There might however be a Multi-touch based notebook from Apple. Cause using the tablet-pc form factor and usage style, a touch based notebook would do good in some areas... nothing like this for the macbook though, at least not yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If what is available now meets one's needs, why wait? I can't imagine a touchscreen that's glossy, like the current MacBook's screen. What a mess.

OP
Funky_Adry
Reaction score
hey guys!!

Thanks soo much for all ya advice and i must say majority wins : (it's better just to buy a macbook and quit the waiting) yeah skye , i have heard soo much rumours that i felt soo confused. Goobimama and mac chick.. That's true apple comes out with something new every second .. ex. 1st the ipod nano 2nd gen. then after for the same price the new video nano. That's crazy! xD Alexis, you think the touchscreen should just remain on ipods and iphones? yeah it will be kinnda irritating having to use ya hand to move the cursor round!! xD and XJ- Linux.. yeah i can't immagine a gloosy screen with a touchmode.. but who knows wat apple will come up with next? It's all to find out!!

Thanks again

ciaoz

Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same position. I'd love to get one ASAP, but worry about a possible upgrade to the MacBook according to rumors. Would hate to buy one then a month later find out they upgrade them to include an LCD backlit screen or like a lit keyboard like the MacBook Pro.

OP
Funky_Adry
Reaction score
haha sderkins.. at least i found someone in the same situation i'm in.. so what ya gonna do? wait for the new operating system comin out or just buy one now & forget about tommorow? Thankz Tuna bones.. but i saw the site but didn't really understand what it's all about? ex. MacBook Pro (15-inch) - Still good value , what does tat mean? wait or buy? Babarnette, yoor information rocks!! it makes me wanna wait till mac does a cool portable like tat.. but maybe it won't be done on a simple macbook.. but the picture on that site rocks!! but does it have a keyboard too?? otherwise writing an e-mail will make ya grow stonggg muscles!!! lol

Thankss

Ciao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The modbook? Is it even shipping yet? It was just about demoed at macworld nothing more.

As for the MBP, its almost new. I don't see any upgrades so soon...

I'd wait for leopard though....that is if you can't spend $129 on buying it when it's out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Babarnette, yoor information rocks!! it makes me wanna wait till mac does a cool portable like tat.. but maybe it won't be done on a simple macbook.. but the picture on that site rocks!! but does it have a keyboard too?? otherwise writing an e-mail will make ya grow stonggg muscles!!! lol

Thankss

Ciao

From what I remember it did not have a keyboard but you could just use a bluetooth KB and mouse with it.

The modbook? Is it even shipping yet? It was just about demoed at macworld nothing more.

As for the MBP, its almost new. I don't see any upgrades so soon...

I'd wait for leopard though....that is if you can't spend $129 on buying it when it's out...

I don't know if it is shipping or not, I thought that is was because they gave final pricing in the article, but I could be wrong. I just remembered the article and thought I would throw it out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.