Help buiding a Mac for recording

Reaction score
Currently I use Logic 7, and an IMAC, and I dont meet the requirements to run the new version of Logic

Instead of buying a mac Pro I would like to customize it, to fit my needs of production and recording I barely know anything about computers on the technical side, so what books would you reccommend getting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
It sounds to me like you want to assemble a Mac Pro from scratch.

Assuming that that is correct, you need to be aware of some things. Macs are not like PCs. Very few people build Macs. I'm one of them. What it sounds like you want to do is going to be impractical in the extreme, for a multitude of reasons:
  1. The Mac Pro is still, as far as Macs go, extremely new. You will not find parts on eBay. You will have to buy spare parts (if you can, without a serial number of an existing Mac Pro) from Apple directly. This will cost you at least as much as if not more than buying the system
  2. You need experience performing serious case and power supply modifications if you're not going to use a Mac case and power supply, which you likely will not for reasn #1.
  3. You need to have some basic level of skill with a multimeter if you don't use all Apple/Apple compatible hardware, which again you likely will not (see reason #1 again...)
  4. You need a good understanding of how to cool computer components. It's unlikely that a standard S771 heatsink will mount on a Mac Pro board (assuming you can get the board without a serial #... see #1 again).

In short, this is not the first project you want to take on if you've never built a Mac before. It's still fairly difficult to build a G5 as the parts are just now starting to trickle onto eBay. And building a Mac from scratch is not the first project to take on if you haven't got quite a bit of experience building and modifying PCs.

You'll save yourself a lot of time, money and frustration by just buying the Mac Pro and adding what you want to it after you have it. What you want to do is not practical, even remotely.

Reaction score
Just to put a hole in this thread.

If you really wanted could an individual not build a nice 'cheap' PC with sse2/3 processor and memory support and install Mac OSX on it?

Im not saying it would be better, but it would certainly give you a solution to your probalem and be a lot lot cheaper?

Reason I mention this is that i want to do the same but not pay for a mac g4 etc as a similar machine would be a lot cheaper(although I realise not the same).

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.