Linux with VirtualBox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Hi,

I want to get Linux running under VirtualBox, which is the best distro? I would like all the hardware working.

I would be grateful for any help.

Thank you.

Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
I use Ubuntu 7.04 on virtualbox beta 2 and it runs great. Just create a machine in VB (select "Linux 2.6"), install Ubuntu normally, then reboot the VM and install the guest additions. Of course, virtual machines have yet to reach the full graphics potential of their hosts, so don't expect to get any serious 3D acceleration, but otherwise I feel that as long as you give the VM 512mb of RAM it will run at native speed. Good luck!

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Thank you.

I am not a fan of Ubuntu, I personally like a KDE distro. Maybe Kubuntu?

I will give it a try, I am going to my local Linux User Group. The guy who runs it is a Mac network administrator!

I will try it later!

Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Yeah Kubuntu would be a good choice then, or perhaps Knoppix. I usually go for the lightweight window managers like XFCE, ICEwm, or Fluxbox personally, but I have used Gnome quite a bit too and it is quite nice, except I don't like the way Nautilus uses RAM when doing large file transfers.

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I will try a few distros later.

I like SUSE, but I can live with Ubuntu.

epb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM, OS X 10.8.2
I use Ubuntu 7.04 on virtualbox beta 2 and it runs great. Just create a machine in VB (select "Linux 2.6"), install Ubuntu normally, then reboot the VM and install the guest additions. Of course, virtual machines have yet to reach the full graphics potential of their hosts, so don't expect to get any serious 3D acceleration, but otherwise I feel that as long as you give the VM 512mb of RAM it will run at native speed. Good luck!

I know it's a while ago that you wrote this, but can you get networking (internet etc.) to work on the gueat? I've just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on the VB on my Mac, but I can't browse the net or anything on the guest... Any ideas?

epb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM, OS X 10.8.2
I've just made it work (if anyone is interested). Previously I tried to make it work with my Mac connected wirelessly to the net, but that didn't do the trick. When I plug in the network cable it works flawlessly. I guess VirtualBox doesn't support networking when the host is connected wirelessly to the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Hey, sorry to re-resurrect an old thread, but....

I have my MacBook (3.1, OSX 10.5.5) on a dual-boot with Hardy Heron (the latest Ubuntu distro). The dual boot works beautifully.

Now, kind of adapting the advice of this thread...

Loading ubuntu partition from windows in VirtualBox - Ubuntu Forums

...I configured VirtualBox to boot my Ubuntu partitions from within OSX.

However, when I try, I get the "frozen GRUB" problem -- it just says "GRUB..." at the top of the window and hangs. However, a regular boot into Ubuntu works fine.

What should I be looking out for?

And I did post about this on ubuntuforums.org, but got no response...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.