Compatible Printer Question

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm sort of waiting to get my first Mac for when Leopard comes out, however my printer is totally thrashed and I need a new one like yesterday. Oh, I want an all-in-one. Don't need a fax as I have one, but if the new one has a fax, no big deal.

I know the Apple online store has a $100 rebate on some, however I'm sure (sort of) that the offer will probably go away when Leopard is officially on the new Macs. Just a hunch.

Any suggestions? (Nice ones, please). ;D

Thanks, Jennifer

Reaction score
Hi jennymac. Seeing as you don't have a Mac at this time, the Apple online store is a good place to start in searching for printers. As you might imagine, any printer listed for sale there is Mac compatible. That's not to say you should or should not buy there. Many times you find the same printer for less, elsewhere.

Another way to check if the printer you are interested in is Mac compatible, would be to surf directly to the printer manufacture web site. There you will be able to find which printers have drivers available on their Mac support page(s).

Had you already owned a Mac, you could go directly to the file folder in /Library > Printers, to find a list of built-in drivers included in OS X. Most printers today are Mac OS X compatible, but you want to make sure none the less.

FWIW, I will recommend Canon. Good luck with the printer you choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I know the Apple online store has a $100 rebate on some, however I'm sure (sort of) that the offer will probably go away when Leopard is officially on the new Macs. Just a hunch.
I kinda doubt it. Printers...at least ordinary inkjet ones...are pretty much throwaway deals now. Everyone gets one for "free" because the manufacturers make all their money on the ink. ($100 printer, $47 in cartridges every six months...do the math.)

OP
J
Reaction score
Yep, I totally agree with you about the ink. It's like how theaters make their money off the concession stand way more than the ticket price! For the most part anyway. I used "knockoff" cartridges with my Epson for almost three years though. It never hurt it, it just died from old age.

Although I don't plan on doing that again, at least while the printer is under warranty (usually the first year?).

Wow, what printer do you have where the ink lasts 6 months?? I wish! Just different printing needs, no doubt. What is REALLY annoying is that when, say, the magenta is out, they usually won't print at all. Back to the theater analogy. $$$

Hey Doc, many thanks for the suggestions. I was leaning towards a Canon anyway as they seem to be getting the best overall reviews, at least for an inkjet. And I think the cartridges may be a bit less money than some other brands. At least I think so.

I don't print many pictures, but will probably end up getting one of the Pixmas. Plus I have to do it ASAP, so I guess the $100 refund isn't relevant anyway. (At least for me).

Thanks to both of you, Jennifer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
I have the HP C4280 All-in-One and got it for free after the $100 mail-in rebate for buying it with a Mac. You could also walk into your local Apple store and see what they have on display. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.