Frustrating things going on any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Brushed aluminum type Imac :)
Well this is about Day 4 with the new 20" imac and on day 3 it started to hang on shutdown It will just sit there with my background image and no other icons or anything. Of course I can hold down the button in the back when this happens but for 1500 dollars I should expect it to do what I ask it to do. ALSO several random programs will either not start at all just bounce in the dock and then some of them will just not shutdown (beachball) and I have to force quit. Honestly this is a little disturbing as I could have spent half the money on a PC that can hang up and freeze on me. I love the mac and I really want to get over these problems but if they continue I will be forced to return it. I did do a search and I repaired the permissions (which I have no idea what that means) but I will report back if the problems persist.

also if that permission repair fixed it what can I do in teh future to keep the permissions from messing up again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Well this is about Day 4 with the new 20" imac and on day 3 it started to hang on shutdown It will just sit there with my background image and no other icons or anything. Of course I can hold down the button in the back when this happens but for 1500 dollars I should expect it to do what I ask it to do. ALSO several random programs will either not start at all just bounce in the dock and then some of them will just not shutdown (beachball) and I have to force quit. Honestly this is a little disturbing as I could have spent half the money on a PC that can hang up and freeze on me. I love the mac and I really want to get over these problems but if they continue I will be forced to return it. I did do a search and I repaired the permissions (which I have no idea what that means) but I will report back if the problems persist.

also if that permission repair fixed it what can I do in teh future to keep the permissions from messing up again?

Do not install lime wire under ANY circumstances! Keep all your software up to date via software update in the apple menu. Don't mess around in the library folder until you know what you are doing on OS X. Other than this I would say just enjoy your new mac, some of the others might have some more advice.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you are messed up with Applications or system files consider reinstalling OS X. It will give you a fresh start. As babarnette said, don't mess around with the system before you know what you're doing.

What you are experiencing is definitely not normal.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay so where is what ive done maybe this should shed some light on the subject. I have installed Azereus and I have imported many .mp3's into the itunes music folder and Ive installed a couple programs. So your saying I need to reinstall osx for a fresh start...thats fine but once I do that where do I go to learn about how to use osx properly so I dont do this again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
Reaction score
Most of the time it's not the tool that's wrong... it's who uses it..

Having said that, just read/google about the software you're installing on your system. Read others' reviews about it and their experiences...
Limewire is a resource hog on any system. It will slow your system down. Almost any big Java app will. For torrents use Transmission (it's free, google it).

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay Ive read that transmission is blocked by my fav place demonoid. I will give it a wirl and try that out. All of the programs I have installed I did research them I just need to learn more about osx... and I would never install limewire on a pc or mac.

I understand your statement of "its not the tool thats wrong its who uses it" thats a little hard to believe in this case. I have not done anything on this 1 week old computer that should lead to hanging applications and not shutting down. It was to my understanding that mac's are a million times more user friendly then pc's and so far that seems like its not always the case. I know I need to give myself time before going install and customizing crazy and I am going to try and slow down a bit on that.... NOW as an update after I did my fix disk permissions I have had zero problems with it and no complaints. I absolutely love this computer and I think over time after I learn all the shortcuts and everything I will be a complete switcher (I still use a PC laptop).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.