Best calibration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
What is the best calibration software out there? I have a MacBook Pro and a Samsung 22in monitor, and i need to make them have the same color and saturation. The Samsung, is over-saturated compared to the Mac's screen. So i need something to fix this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I have the Spyder 2 Suite. I would assume you would need the pro version to calibrate the two monitors. The suite is only designed for one monitor. I tried hooking my TV up to an iMac I had and the Spyder app would only open on the Mac and I couldn't move it around. I bet if I used my Mac Pro and only hooked one monitor up at time I could get around that. But I think you'll have the same problem I did with my iMac.
As for color saturation, the color monitoring software will not fix that. The MBP and Samsung are different and will always render different results. Two exact monitors will never look 100% exactly alike. A color calibrator is for fixing the color cast and not the saturation.
The spyder 2 suite is awesome though. It does all the work and reminds me every two weeks to recalibrate. It only cost me $95.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would it be able to calibrate my printer too, to make it print out colors that are exact to my laptop monitor? I made a graphic that was purple in the computer, but came out pink when i printed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both the Suite and Pro versions come with the printer software too.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok good, i'll have to check them out then, thanks!

Reaction score
calibration tool

hi

i always have probs with color management well....usually when it comes to prepping for print. color usuall looks dull etc and i end up screaming!

ive heard about these color calibration tools you attach to ur monitor.
can anyone explain how this would make my life easier?
does it 'point out' which to set ur monitor at? and which to set photoshop/illustrator at?

id like to know from someone who uses them.
id be interested to hear from anyone please.

thanks for reading.
:Smirk:

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even though i did ask the question originally, i do know a bit about how those things work. I had asked the question out of which brand is the best. But i have decided to hold back on buying one, and just doing it myself, because for what i need, the package will be around $600 from Xrite, and i don't have that right now

Besides that, what are you looking to calibrate, your monitors, your printer, or both? See i wanted both, and because of that, i need to separate softwares, or a bundle. But the little things that go over your monitors are little sensors that take readings and try to match up what each monitor outputs. I'm not sure how it works for printers though. These things would make your life easier by making what you see and print out the exact same color.

If i'm wrong on any of this, please let me know, but this is what i had read in Rangefinder Magazine. Here are a few links that might be able to help:
http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/
www.xrite.com
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/monitor_profiling.shtml

I hope i was able to help, good luck!

Reaction score
hey- thanks for the rapid reply.
wow i didnt realise they were so pricey.

i think il have to use my eyes a bit more...lol

its just irritating trying to match work from screen to print ... its never going to be EXACT but if its NEAR then thats fine for me.
always seems more painless if it can be automated by a gadget!

i do get baffled by this whole colour issue theory. i have read that monitors are supposed to be set at sRGB , some said NO NO NO RGB 1998.....
ah well.. i made a post earlier today- i hope someone can help me.

oh, and thanks for your help to.

:)

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's actually not that expensive if you really need one, they do start at $100. But i really only think they are for monitors, and they are limited. The printer and dual monitors ones are the expensive packages.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know the Apple store has a few. I think they sell a Huey one. You might want to try looking at www.bhphotovideo.com, they have a lot of imaging related stuff there. I buy all my camera equipment from them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know the Apple store has a few. I think they sell a Huey one. You might want to try looking at www.bhphotovideo.com, they have a lot of imaging related stuff there. I buy all my camera equipment from them.

Boo to B&H!! Click Here for the Best! (my employeer)
The Huey is by far the cheapest but it doesn't seem like it would protect against outside like sources like a lamp or outside light if you're next to a window. Say you have a standard lamp on your desk and its burning that beautiful orange color while your doing the calibration. If any of that light leaks in, the colors will be off.
If you only need one for your montior a ColorVision Spyder 2 will be fine. I don't know about the XRite's but they cost 2x as much.
The versions that are $600+ have print spectrophotometers which read printouts and not the monitor. If you're doing prints, it's best to have both for best color accuracy but $600 is a lot of $$.
I have the Spyder2 Suite and I love it. It's right at $100 I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs
I'm pretty sure the huey has an ambient light sensor that stays plugged in via usb, but I could be wrong!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.