I need a Mac but which one?

Reaction score
Ok so i have just started a course at College doing Music Technology so will be using Macs so its my time to buy my first Mac. But i have no idea what i should be looking for...

I will be using the Mac for:
Internet
Homework
Music recording programs (cubase,Logic maybe pro tools)
and maybe a few games...

At first i was going to get a Macbook but now im not sure if i should just get an IMac or a Macbook pro...

Money isn't too much of an issue because i can just save up from work...but i don't want to pay for something and not use what i payed extra for...

So it would be a huge help if someone could either list the Specs i should get or just say "Get an IMac because they are better than Macbooks because..." or the other way around.

Thanks
Hazz

Reaction score
I have tried to write my first Mac buyer's guide for switchers. I am not sure if it will help you in your decision but maybe you take a look. It is not a professional guide, more like opinions I have read in forums and my personal opinions summed up.

kuchiki

OP
H
Reaction score
Ok Thanks that did help me alot but im still not sure...

What advantages does the Imac have over the macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
You can't carry it around. I'd guess you might need a MacBook Pro if you need portability, otherwise an iMac will do fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
The configuration options for the MBP and the iMac are more or less the same, so they have the same specs. But the MBP has the Geforce 8600M GT (the 256mb one) and the iMac has the Radeon 2600 HD Pro (a 2400 in the base-model). The 8600 beats the 2600 in most tests. (just by a fairly small margin though) Anyway, iMac and MBP are equally good imo. If you need the portability, get the MBP, otherwise the iMac will do just fine and you save a bunch of $.

Btw, you can compare the specs yourself on the Apple site, it's easy :eek:.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
has the macbook pro got the same or better specs than an Imac?

You're looking at it the wrong way.

You can't compare an iMac to a MacBook Pro, they're in two completely different categories. Tech spec and price comparisons would be very inconsistent and not very helpful at all.

First things first, you have to decide upon the importance of mobility. Do you want to set up a station from which you do all your work, or would you like the freedom of sitting on your bed to do your homework, or having your computer with you at the library. Or can you use it in class?

Once you've decided that, you need to decide what you intend to do with the computer in a few months/years time. Will you be happy just doing the basics or will you be wanting to do more complex things like video editing or animation as well as music?

Once you know the answer to both of those considerations, it narrows down your choice and we can help give you a more informed opinion.

OP
H
Reaction score
well the thing is i think i would like to have a portable computer just so i can move it about and take it with me easier...

In a a few months or years i will still use it for music...i will do a bit of video editing but i will only use the program that comes with the Mac because i won't be serious about doing it.

But i want to get a Mac that i can use for everything and in a few months don't think **** i don't have enough memory or make it slow down or anything i just want one that will last me and hold all my music on and so on....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Either will do that.

The iMac isn't portable and only has a gig of RAM, but has a much larger screen.
The MacBook Pro is portable, has 2 gigs of RAM, but has a smaller screen and is more expensive.

Apart from the memory, they're pretty much the same performance wise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
One thing is sure though...you should definitely NOT get a macbook. While a macbook is portable n all, good for internet, but when you go into audio recording and video editing and such, the screen size and graphics hit a sort of bottleneck.

The only question that remains is whether you want portability or screen size... (the 24 inch iMac sure is a pleasure to work with...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although, the 17inch MBP might strike that perfect balance of portability and screen size (but if you use it only for net browsing then its a waste).

OP
H
Reaction score
i don't understand about the screen size...

why does it matter how big your screen is? i mean ofcourse you don't want really small but like 2 inch difference...what makes the bigger better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
it's not just 2", it's 7". You have more space on your screen, pretty obvious why it's better..

OP
H
Reaction score
the macbook pro is either a 15" or a 17" isnt it ? and the Imac is at highest 24" or 20". I don't really see how 2" on a mbp can be different... i can see on the Imacs but still... not a huge difference

Reaction score
One thing is sure though...you should definitely NOT get a macbook. While a macbook is portable n all, good for internet, but when you go into audio recording and video editing and such, the screen size and graphics hit a sort of bottleneck.

The only question that remains is whether you want portability or screen size... (the 24 inch iMac sure is a pleasure to work with...)

I am not so sure about that.
The way I have understood him he just wants to use the iLife suite for audio (that means garageband) and video editing from time to time but rather seldomly. I really think that a Macbook might be powerful enough for his needs. I think the MBP is rather for more professional use but I might be wrong.

kuchiki

ps: the MB really is underestimated in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't get me wrong, i love the macbook, but since he mentioned these,
Music recording programs (cubase,Logic maybe pro tools)
I thought the macbook pro would be better suited to him (since it has got an optical line in and such).

And as for screen size, its not just 2 inches bigger. Its almost 30% more screen real estate, cause screen sizes are measured diagonally. You can also plug in an extra monitor at a later stage and pan your display out.

Its like saying that the iPhone's display is just 2 inches bigger than the iPod nano (old one)...

OP
H
Reaction score
I will be using professional recording programs aswell... like Cubase and Logic... thats why i thought i might need the MBP but if the MB would be fine i will get that

OP
H
Reaction score
ok guys let me lay it down again.

I need a Mac at the moment from what people have said i think a Macbook or Macbook pro would be best for me...

I will use it for basic stuff and proffesional recording programs.

Which one should i get Macbook or MBP?

Reaction score
ok guys let me lay it down again.

I need a Mac at the moment from what people have said i think a Macbook or Macbook pro would be best for me...

I will use it for basic stuff and proffesional recording programs.

Which one should i get Macbook or MBP?

okay then...
then I would rather suggest you buy the MBP
if you use professional level applications the MB might be a bit under dimensioned for your needs.

kuchiki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
the macbook pro is either a 15" or a 17" isnt it ? and the Imac is at highest 24" or 20". I don't really see how 2" on a mbp can be different... i can see on the Imacs but still... not a huge difference
I thought you were comparing iMac and MBP, my mistake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.