Which is better for mac: Vista or XP?

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase windows for my intel based mac and I don't know if I should buy Windows Vista or Windows XP. I was wondering which route I should take.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To be honest, XP would be the better choice. It's cheaper, uses fewer resources, and there's pretty much nothing out there that's Vista exclusive, so you don't have to worry about compatibility issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It depends why you're installing Windows. If it's for the occasional use, assuming OS X will be your primary OS, definitely XP.

If you're really into Vista, I would buy a Vista based machine rather than a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Definitely XP. There have been other threads on this on these forums, but there is very little that is unique to Vista in terms of new meaningful functionality, but there are huge new resource demands. XP will meet all your Windows needs with less demands on your machine. Go there if you have to go Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
"Which is better for mac: Vista or XP? "

To be honest... OS X is best for Macs. :):p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4 gHz, 2 gb RAM
I've found Vista sluggish and slow, and somewhat infuriating from time to time, on various PC's I have used. Maybe they will fix it, but as of now, I find it pretty maddening. XP seems to work better. Thus, I loaded XP on my iMac using Boot Camp, and it works pretty well. I wanted to minimize as much as possible the presence of infuriating Windows performance on my beautiful mac, and I thought XP was more likely to accomplish this goal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(White), 2.16Ghz Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM Scorpio HD, Intel GMA 950
On my Macbook, vista looks better, just at a GUI stand point. If you are on a laptop, vista has better power customization options such as CPU throttling for better batery life. If you have a new Mac with dedicated graphics and direct x 10 compatibility, you should choose Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz (Aluminum)
xp is basically windows 2000 with more eye candy..... and (hopefully) improved security.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
xp is basically windows 2000 with more eye candy..... and (hopefully) improved security.

The same can be said for XP vs. Vista. The only substantial difference would be DX10 support - and I'm pretty sure that none of the Macs have a DX10-compatible GPU. So, unless you're playing games that artificially require Vista (read: Halo 2, among others), I'd just stick to XP for occasional Windows tasks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The same can be said for XP vs. Vista. The only substantial difference would be DX10 support - and I'm pretty sure that none of the Macs have a DX10-compatible GPU. So, unless you're playing games that artificially require Vista (read: Halo 2, among others), I'd just stick to XP for occasional Windows tasks.

Vista has far better file indexing too, so you get spotlight like features. After using Spotlight, going back to XP and using 'search' is painful.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Vista has far better file indexing too, so you get spotlight like features. After using Spotlight, going back to XP and using 'search' is painful.

I've read that Google Desktop on XP essentially does the same thing, although I haven't tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I would say XP because it doesn't have the general hicups and compatibility issues that Vista has right now, and it takes less memory and requires less resources. But eventually Vista will be standard, not to mention DirectX10 and 64 bit support.

Any chance you are or will be a college student? If so, go ahead and pick up both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.