sharing files mac & windows

Reaction score
i got both of them networked...or i think?

my mac can see the file i shared on the windows machine but the window machine cannot see what i share on the mac...

what is wrong?

thanks
phat

ps:just switched too but my macpro desktop is not a screamer yet...kinda slow...need more ram?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You have to enable Windows sharing. Go to system preferences > Sharing > and then enable windows sharing.

After that is done, (In windows) go to Start > Search > Computers and people and then enter the IP address. You don't really have to do this last step, it should automatically pop up in the networked computers thing, but this is faster...

Mac pro not a screamer? What's you RAM and what apps are you running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Just a cautionary note. The Windows part of this (finding the Mac) takes an excruciatingly long time the first time you do it. On my PC (a 3.0 GHz PIV - so a pretty fast machine) it took about 4 minutes to finally pop up the Mac on screen. I was sure it had died, but had experienced this sort of thing before with Windows networking, so I let it keep cranking. Sure enough, it eventually found it. Patience grasshopper! :D

...yes, I am watching the old classic "Kung Fu" on DVD these days! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing. I don't know how to "search" for an ip using Windows Vista. That option isn't existing. Though when I search using XP, the mac pops up quite fast...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
I have tried doing this, but still can't get it to work. I am trying to connect a Vista laptop to my iMac. The laptop sees the iMac, but when I try to connect, it prompts me for a user name and password. I tried both my Mac user name and password, and also the user name and password for my wife that I created on the Mac specifically for her to connect, but it does not work. The log-on screen refreshes to have my wife's laptop's name in front of the Mac user ID. I tried submitting that, but the Mac will not accept it. Any suggestions?

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... me too had some login problems with regard to Vista. I'll try to work it out and let you in on the secret. Anyone else know something about this?

Your other option would be to get a Firewire cable and boot into Target disk mode... just in case you wanted just a file transfer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah! Got it. You have to enter your ip address/username that is for example, 192.168.1.3/test and then the password...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.