PDA

View Full Version : Digital voice recorders

docinsano
09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm looking into buying an inexpensive voice recorder to record lectures and other similar stuff. While at target, two caught my eye. They were in my price range, however they did not have any sort of PC connectivity. There were also a couple of usb recorders, however, the price range was out of my budget.

Anyways, is there a way to connect one of those recorders to a pc without the need of a usb connectable one? Preferably inexpensively or free. Thanks in advance for the help. Later.

terryxpress@yah
09-10-2007, 08:59 PM
For people to be able to respond knowledgably to your query, you would need to say what are the recorders (analog? digital?), to what medium (as in magnetic tape or mini disc), and most importantly, what type of audio outlets eg RCA line-out? If mini-disc, is the output in digital format?? Why are you transferring the sound to computer? That is, what do you want to do with the sound once transferred? eg are you wanting to edit it in some way and make a CD of these lectures? (I'm thinking ahead to software you might need to capture the sound.)

docinsano
09-11-2007, 02:06 AM
basically i need a way to get the audio onto my hard drive, perhaps via the headphone jack or something. once transferred i will listen to the lectures at my leisure to study, etc. I have and am familiar with audacity so no need for any editing software. A digital recorder is my preference, so emphasis on the digital. Hope this narrows things down a bit, and thank you so far.

Del
09-11-2007, 04:22 AM
This Olympus digital recorder works great, however it records to wma format so you will need to convert to mp4 or mp3
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-WS-200S-WS-200s-Digital-Recorder/dp/B0008EKPIK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/026-5849186-2751664?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189498874&sr=8-4

docinsano
09-11-2007, 11:39 AM
No prob with the format, conversion isn't an issue. Btw, how does the mac handle the recorder when its connected? Does it view it as a mass storage device (like a usb flash drive)? thanks so far.

tyros8000
09-11-2007, 01:20 PM
if you have an ipod you can get a little gadget to record to your ipod and then i assume you can sync up - i have never used it, just seen it while surfing. here is the link - http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=158384

another option would be to record straight to the mac using either garageband or wiretap pro.

Del
09-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Btw, how does the mac handle the recorder when its connected? Does it view it as a mass storage device (like a usb flash drive)? thanks so far.

yup - just treats it like a flash drive