Darwin Crash

A

anarkhy 17

Sometimes when i open applications like garage band for ex. the screen freezes and some black text comes up in the upper left corner basicaly saying "darwin kernel has crashed" i am not an expert in the terminal or anything but is there a way to fix this or update the kernel??? This has been getting me frusterated :mad: ... Wait :eek: at least it isn't windows :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Any kernel update would be announced by Apple; it's open source BTW. Have you tried repair permissions and been running crons?

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
You must be running Mac OS X 10.1. You are expiriancing kernal panics. Run the Apple Hardware test CD, see if it finds anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
anarkhy 17 said:
whats crons?
use Mac Janitor, or: Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed

OP
A

anarkhy 17

i use 10.2... anyways i don't remember making a root Pass in OS X and none of my admin user passes work. What do i do???

OP
A

anarkhy 17

i just installed macjanitor :)( because i am lazy and sadly because i am trapped in the world of the GUI :( [o well :rolleyes: ]) but i would still like to know what my root pass is :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well the admin password to your first user loggin name is tha same as the password you type when logging in. The root password doesn't exist until you enable the root user, then you will see a new user name on the loggin screen called other

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
OP
A

anarkhy 17

I don't know what the **** just happened but heres how it goes...

1)i opened safari
2)an unexpected quit occured
3)i opened safari
4)an unexpected quit occured
5)i opened safari
6)an unexpected quit occured
7)then the white on black text appeared
8)i restarted
9)while still at the screen with the apple white on black text appeared
10)i restarted
11)while at the login screen the "please restart your computer message appeared"
12)i restarted
13)finally i succesfully load OS X (but it doesn't stop there)
14)i open iChat ... the white on black text appears
15)i restart
16)i start typing this post i am almost done.... it freezes "please restart message" comes up
17)i restart
18)it boots i start retyping this post again(careful to save my work)
19)i submit this post...
-
- it has been a living **** for me... i think i have bad RAM :(

OP
A

anarkhy 17

I am almost positive it is a RAM issue because when i bought it at an apple reseller store they put another 512 mb of 3rd party RAM in... **** this is gonna cost me or i could just take out the 512 stick and see if it runs better. that will determine if it is the ram. :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take the new stick out, bring it to Apple, say it is defective. They will give you a new one.

OP
A

anarkhy 17

does it matter if its 3rd party RAM? it's ....TJS (whatever the **** that is)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Third party from Crutial is a good name I have heard. Here is a good place to look

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anarkhy 17 said:
does it matter if its 3rd party RAM? it's ....TJS (whatever the **** that is)
Where did you get it?

OP
A

anarkhy 17

I got it from a local Mac store (not an official mac store but they are licensed apple sellers) http://www.yescomputers.com/ check it out here <<< ................. my mac is over a year old, but i have a 3 year apple care plan. :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.