iPod Touch vs iPhone

Reaction score
Hey people! i am looking for an ipod and thought of buying the new 16 gb ipod touch for 400$ but the 8 gb iPhone is at the same price with more functions but i want to know what do you people think i should do ? and what are there differences ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
You have to ask yourself what's more important to you? Having double the storage or having the added features of the iphone? (phone, camera, sms, built-in widgets/apps).

If you don't plan on activating the phone, then I'm not sure how many of those extra features would be available to you?

And of course, you would have to apply a hack to unlock even the ipod functions without activation on the iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
iPod Touch PRO's over iPhone:

16GB (double the Capacity)

iPhone PRO's over the Touch:
Mail App
Bluetooth
Cellphone
Camera
Built in Speaker
Built in Mic.
Maps Widget
SMS Widget
Notes Widget
Stocks Widget
Weather Widget

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So the question becomes.. What is the extra 8gb of space worth to you???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Hey, you forgot the Touch PRO: A touch(no pun) smaller and thinner.

I would wait until the Touch is released before finalizing your decision, though. It's possible some of these widgets/apps are put on the Touch by Apple or 3rd party possibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I bet those and 3rd party apps made for the iPhone will be on the touch in no time. I think the real question is, do you want it to have a phone function or not?

Personally, I smell a 16GB iPhone around the corner at the least and possibly 3G too. The $349 8GB iPhone refurbs are really tempting, but I just can't pull the trigger until it has 3G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Personally, I smell a 16GB iPhone around the corner at the least and possibly 3G too. The $349 8GB iPhone refurbs are really tempting, but I just can't pull the trigger until it has 3G.

I'm in the same boat... I want the iPhone... But I need 3G...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I'm in the same boat... I want the iPhone... But I need 3G...

I wish I was in your boat. I'm pretty stuck with Tmobile right now on a family plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm with Sprint... also a family plan (just my wife and I)..

I have 3 options, and they are:

1) Wait out my current contract that ends Aug. 2008... ;DI'm not nearly THAT patient.

2) Suck-it-up and pay the "Early Termination Fee" on 2 phones... ;D No, not that either. :D

3) Use my world class negotiating skills, and my undeniable charm to convince Sprint to let me out of my contract without paying the early termination fee.

Well... Option #3 it is!!!

:D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
My wife really likes the myFaves thing, so it ain't work the headaches. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think you can get out of the ETF if you tell them you're moving somewhere that they don't have coverage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm with Sprint... also a family plan (just my wife and I)..

I have 3 options, and they are:

1) Wait out my current contract that ends Aug. 2008... ;DI'm not nearly THAT patient.

2) Suck-it-up and pay the "Early Termination Fee" on 2 phones... ;D No, not that either. :D

3) Use my world class negotiating skills, and my undeniable charm to convince Sprint to let me out of my contract without paying the early termination fee.

Well... Option #3 it is!!!

:D:D:D

The Consumerist has some guides for people who want to get out of their contracts without paying a fee:

http://consumerist.com/consumer/cel...-over-new-text-message-rate-change-290247.php

http://consumerist.com/consumer/cel...ation-fee-over-roaming-rate-change-267570.php

http://consumerist.com/consumer/one...you-call-customer-service-too-much-275178.php

http://consumerist.com/consumer/med...ntracts-so-you-can-get-yor-iphones-273465.php

http://consumerist.com/consumer/app...cellphone-so-you-can-get-an-iphone-272305.php

Reaction score
I bet those and 3rd party apps made for the iPhone will be on the touch in no time. I think the real question is, do you want it to have a phone function or not?

Hey are you changing your tune on 3G availability on the iphone????

remember your reply to me

please go away and don't come back unless you can give some real, legitimate sources for all this amazing knowledge you have so kindly dropped on us. 3G by christmas, I'll give you 10:1 odds that it won't happen.

this was the original thread... Im still holding to my word that if a 3G iphone is not available by Christmas I will send you $20.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=427977#post427977

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
iPod Touch PRO's over iPhone:

16GB (double the Capacity)

iPhone PRO's over the Touch:
Mail App
Bluetooth
Cellphone
Camera
Built in Speaker
Built in Mic.
Maps Widget
SMS Widget
Notes Widget
Stocks Widget
Weather Widget

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So the question becomes.. What is the extra 8gb of space worth to you???

One more to add to that list:

Editable Calendar app.

It appears the calendar on the Touch is read-only.
Sadly, Apple modified the description of their multitouch features page and removed the part that said "entering calendar events."

Lame. I don't want an iPhone. Even if I could get out of my contract, the price difference includes a 2yr contract at least $60/mo. I can't justify that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
One more to add to that list:

Editable Calendar app.

It appears the calendar on the Touch is read-only.
Sadly, Apple modified the description of their multitouch features page and removed the part that said "entering calendar events."

Lame. I don't want an iPhone. Even if I could get out of my contract, the price difference includes a 2yr contract at least $60/mo. I can't justify that.

Geez... So in order to get info to the Cal on the Touch, you have to Sync it??? Why on earth would they do that???

I don't mind the 2 yrs @ $60+ per month, my current cell phone plan is MUCH MUCH higher than that... AT&T's rates seem pretty competitive with Sprint (my current carrier).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Geez... So in order to get info to the Cal on the Touch, you have to Sync it??? Why on earth would they do that???

I don't mind the 2 yrs @ $60+ per month, my current cell phone plan is MUCH MUCH higher than that... AT&T's rates seem pretty competitive with Sprint (my current carrier).

The rates for the data plans are actually pretty reasonable, I just don't want to switch carriers at this point. AT&T service is pretty bad where I work. Tmobile & Verizon are the only carriers that have good service at the places I use my cellphone the most.

Plus, I've never been that interested in having my cellphone and media player combined.

However, seeing how much they're crippling the Touch is making me want to get an iPhone and hack the activation part and just use it as a PDA/Media player. Decisions, decisions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I'm tellin ya, it's not that big a deal. The Touch and iPhone has basically the same underlying software, so within a couple of days, the iPhone applications will be ported over to the Touch.

So no editable calendar? No problem, replace it with the iPhone one! Wants Stocks and Weather? Got you covered there too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm tellin ya, it's not that big a deal. The Touch and iPhone has basically the same underlying software, so within a couple of days, the iPhone applications will be ported over to the Touch.

So no editable calendar? No problem, replace it with the iPhone one! Wants Stocks and Weather? Got you covered there too!

Agreed... thank goodness for those that have the time to do this. It's just silly (IMO) to have to "hack" it in order to have the features that should (again IMO) be there straight from Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.