• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple wants T.V. episodes to be $0.99

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
MAC RUMORS

I think Jobsie is on the right track here. Of course DVD box sets cost $40 for a season. The quality is higher and there's usually a load of bonus material, plus the fact that the physical object and the lovely packaging makes them a collectable item.

Each episode on the iTunes store is priced according to the average cost of an episode based on a DVD box set. But the problem is that on the iTunes store the quality is less, you get no packaging and no special features.

The studios still don't understand that the people buying from the iTunes store have no intention of buying the DVD's and those who want the DVD's wont buy off the iTunes store. They're different markets neither effecting the other.

What do the rest of you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I would buy more TV Shows if they were 99 cents. The quality is lower, I can't burn it to disc, I can only play it on an iTunes-compatible device, yada yada yada. A dollar seems like much less of an investment than $1.99 for some reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Well I agree. I think the iTunes pricing for TV shows is fine for picking up episodes here and there. But if I want the entire season, I'm getting the DVD set for the reasons you mentioned. Higher quality, physical media & packaging, bonus material (although I rarely view it, it's there in case I want to).

If iTunes started offering HD TV Shows at the $1.99/episode price, I'd download from them instead, even for a whole season. If the episodes were $.99 for the current quality, I may switch as well. But under the current structure, the bulk of my TV Show purchases are DVD media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I would love the price to drop. Including in the UK cos its way too much here in the UK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
iTunes does give you the option to buy an entire season ahead of time for a package price less than $1.99 each. I can't remember at the moment how much less it was.

Maybe this is part of the reason behind the NBC issue. Maybe Apple wanted to lower the price, but NBC wanted to keep it where it was. That would explain why NBC is now selling on Unbox for the same $1.99 price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
You're probably right about the NBC issue. I've seen the package prices and season passes and while there's some savings over buying every episode individually, it's not much and still in the same realm of DVD box sets. If they lower each episode to $.99 then obviously the season packages/passes would go down considerably, and DVD box sets suddenly don't seem as appealing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
it's one of those things. The pricing structure is good. I've been trying to complete my Babylon 5 collection from friends and my own old VHS tapes...and iTunes helped me fill in some gaps last night!

Woot...I wonder how many seasons I can fit onto my iPod Video? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I agree that if the shows were available in HD, $1.99 is an acceptable price. But at their current quality, I would probably pick up more if the price were brought down to 99 cents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Something wrong Z mann?

You're one of those star trek-or-nothing guys aren't you? ;)

OP
johnnyluu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Babylon 5 is a big pile of space!

That was for you SPACED fans out there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
$1.99 - HD - I'm on the bandwagon instead of buying DVD's.
Have no desire to be watching movies or TV shows in less than DVD quality with enough HD sets in the house for each of us plus a spare.

Any thing less than 480p, don't much care how much it is (unless it's cheap enuff to buy and delete after watching), won't be getting any of my money.

And I'm with ya Mike. Although, I did round out my S-T and Firefly collection prior to starting on B5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
B5 was ok for it's time. Well it's better than ST-TOS technically speaking. Seriously ST is not the only SF stuff out there that's good. And don't get me started on the new Dr Who haha!

Well back on topic I agree with all of the above. I'd say here is Aus $1.50 for the standard show and $2 or $2.50 for the HD version would be worth it. And I'd even pay the $2.50 for the bonus features as well if they were sold on itunes. I really like watching how a tv show or movie was made.

But for me I only watch movies on my TV. I dunno I just find it stange watching them in my imac so I'd prefer HD quality. Even though my tv is not HD I'd rather have it then not have it. So I prefer buying actual DVDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.