• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

what should apple do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
I've had my macbook pro since April, and I've had a problem with kernel panics since I got it. After dealing with them for a few months, I finally got annoyed and went to the apple store. the first time, I was recomended to reinstall os x, which I did, and that did not fix the problem. the second time I went, they told me to run without my stick of crucial ram (1gb), which I also did, and again it still kernel paniced. the last time I went, they finally did something useful and replaced my logic board. I just got it back today, and guess what? it kernel paniced again as soon as I woke it up from sleep.

now, my question is what should apple do now? I have an appointment with them scheduled for tomorrow at 10AM (so if possible please try to reply before then). however, I leave tomorrow night (around midnight) for college, so I therefore cannot let them have my laptop because I will be needing it. is it fair for me to request a brand-new laptop from apple? this will have been the 4th time I have had to make an appointment there, and now it is simply too late for them to do anything other than replace it. I feel they should have tried doing something more useful the first two times I went in there, when I was able to give them the laptop for a more detailed analysis.

thanks any advice guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Did you custom configure your MBP or did you choose one of the standard setups? If your computer is a standard setup, I wouldn't think it would be a big deal for them to replace it for you. It would work out for them because it would keep a customer happy and they would eventually be able to refurbish it and sell it again as a refurb. It would work out for you in that you would have your computer in time for school and you would get some upgrades (slightly faster processor, faster bus speed, and the new nVidia graphics engine. Also, yours is the 15.4", you would also get the new LED-backlit display.)

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for them to do a swap for you. This is the fourth time you've taken your computer back to Apple.

Just my $.02

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
yah I bought my laptop straight from the apple store, so no special cofigurations. I'd just pull my crucial stick of ram out of the laptop before I gave it to them.

EDIT
oh, forgot to ask. if they did give me a new laptop, would they swap the hard drives in them so I kept my installation and all my data, or would I have to reinstall everything again?

thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
bump, any other opinions or suggestions? I'm leaving in about an hour...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
They could transfer your data to a new laptop, but wouldn't switch harddrives. I was under the impression that the way they dealt with defective machines is if it comes in 3 times with a problem then they'll replace it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
well, this is going to be my fourth time coming in there, so hopefully they'll give me a new laptop!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know what happens.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You have a good chance of getting the notebook replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Apple should give you a brand new (working) MBP, period.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
well, it took some convincing, but they finally ended up giving me a brand-new 2.2ghz macbook pro! only problem is, the bottom third of my screen has the yellowish tint that I guess is fairly common. will they be able to swap out my screen?

I guess I have bad luck with apple... :(

Reaction score
man you have bad luck, everybody i know has had great laptops.......:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, they will be able to swap that out for you. Congrats on getting the new MBP. Did you call them back and tell them that the screen had the yellowish tint?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.