Looking to create a Favicon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
I have an image that i want to use for my Favicon and i tryed a website that created the files for me, although its not working in Safari, does anyone know a good site that will create the files for me that support all the main browsers, Safari, IE (+IE 7), and Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz (Aluminum)
I used graphicconverter to make one.... open the image and save as a .ico file... file name should be: favicon.ico

sometimes safari won't show them. not sure why.

Reaction score
I used graphicconverter to make one.... open the image and save as a .ico file... file name should be: favicon.ico

sometimes safari won't show them. not sure why.

does it work well with transparency?
I have an icon that should be semi-transparent, but I can't find the appropriate software to do it.

Reaction score
Transparent Favicons

I've had really good luck with Dynamic Drive's favicon generator. Here's how I did it and a few examples of their quality: Transparent Favicons
I'm not too sure about the partial transparency though? Please post back with your results/examples.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You can name the favicon anything you want. Like SiteIcon.ico. As long as it is an ICO file and you link to it in the HTML properly.

Modern browsers also support other file formats as well. So you can use a 24bit PNG with partial transparency. You just have to modify your html a little bit so it knows which file to server which browsers. Basically, IE gets the ICO and everyone else gets the PNG.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.