I have a VERY stuid question...

Reaction score
Wops! I cant edit the title...

oh boy, im sooo happy! Just plugged my imac! Ive been waiting for this moment for years and years! :D

With that said, I have a stupid question! A couple of years ago a firend bought a 17" imac and when he pressed ESC and said TELL ME A JOKE the mac would tell him a joke! Is that still available? how does it work?

i know its silly... :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
You have to turn on Speakable Items (System Preferences>Speech). It allows you to do a lot of things by voice commands besides asking for jokes :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Silly, stupid, yes. Neat, of course.

It's in the Speech Recognition pane of System preferences. You can turn it on, then when it's listening say 'Computer, tell me a joke' and it'll tell you a joke (apparently a knock knock joke) with the text to speech voice.

It's one of the little things.

Reaction score
Silly, stupid, yes. Neat, of course.

It's in the Speech Recognition pane of System preferences. You can turn it on, then when it's listening say 'Computer, tell me a joke' and it'll tell you a joke (apparently a knock knock joke) with the text to speech voice.

It's one of the little things.

Oh that is so cool...is that available on Macbooks as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Oh that is so cool...is that available on Macbooks as well?

Yeah it is, I just tried it. Had no idea that was there. Not as cool as you think really...I turned it back off after about 10 seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
yeah, my jokes were lame

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.