• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why Do You Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uhhh macbook (black) 120gb HD 2gb Ram and a intel core duo processor at 2.o ghz
iMac (hahaha) because its a great and easy to use OS... im sure thats why uMac aswell.... but im just curious about why and what are your favorite parts of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
No Maintainance. Work becomes fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
Blazing speed in a sleek and sexy package. (my future Macbook Pro)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
On the surface this seems like an easy question to answer, but perhaps not.

I started using a Mac back in April of 95. This was right about the time that Windows 95 was released and the computing experience changed for millions. Up to that point I had used mostly MS-DOS and Windows 3.1, neither of which I would call a memorable experience, but playing Solitaire and Castle Wolfenstein was still pretty nifty. The company I went to work for that year used Macs almost exclusively, with some Windows machines on the side for various task specific requirements.

Within 6 months of being there, I became the "Mac guy" who did all of the maintenance and upgrades (on the side, in addition to my job) to all of the machines in the office, both hardware and software, as we had no real IT dept. Everything had until then been maintained by the Division manager personally. I even had the power to decide what new machines would be purchased for what tasks, who needed new machines and so on. I even got to do the Windows 95 upgrades on the Windows 3.1 machines. What a joy that was. That was when I really decided that Macs were easier to deal with. Anyone who installed System 7.5.x, 7.6 or 8 AND Windows 95 will tell you how much easier the MacOS, even then, was to deal with.

I acted in this capacity until the company decided to move to PCs and then they actually had to hire IT folks full time to make them all work together on the LAN and install software and so on. It was during my role as the IT guy that I went and purchased my first Mac, sometime in late 95, maybe September or so. With that purchase I never looked back, even after the company went to Windows boxes.

At this point, having stuck with the platform during the low days of System 7 & 8, Apples seeming road to oblivion, the return of the Steve, the resurgence of the Mac, the iPod and the fact that Apple is once a again making good products that are actually attracting customers who may have never even thought of one 6 months before, I figure I might as well stay. The OS keeps getting better as does the hardware. Sure in many ways Windows is as easy to deal with as OSX is these days, or OSX is as difficult to deal with as Windows is, but either way I suspect I'll never really switch to anything else unless I am forced to. I've been through the ups and downs with the platform, I might as well see where it goes next.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Baggss, very well said. I went through a similar situation but lack of $$$ made it harder to get the Mac I really needed, but I made do till I could with older used Macs. Also OS2 was in there somewhere for me.

I will never go back for my main systems. Never unless Apple totally blows it and ruins it all. Right now I do not see that happening. I just feel so at ease with OSX. Like it's a part of me.

Why do I Mac? OSX. I love it. To me it's the best OS I have ever worked with and I have used everything from Dos 3.3 to Vista. Amiga OS to Atari ST GEM, CPM, OS2, BeOS, Haiku. Commodore 64/128, Atari 8Bits with SpartaDos.

I liked the feel of older Mac OS from 6 up to 9, but it was getting a little dated. Glad Apple went the OSX route and got Jobs back. Otherwise I probably would be typing this from an XP PC as I really do not like Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
For me, a lot of it was change. I wanted something new and challenging and Windows was just not it anymore. I love my Mac and will never go back. Had a play with my mates Vista Hp Pavillion on the weekend. It also had ofice 2007. Honestly I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. And he couldn't even print because there are no drivers for his printer yet......

Great reply by the way Baggss....a man of few words LOL

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
because i earn a living fixing windows and HP problems.

T

todd51

Mainly because I wanted one. Other than that I was tired of paying for virus protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I was tired of XP. It's unstable, unsafe, and unreliable. OS X is cleaner and easier to use. I don't really understand a lot yet but if I need to figure something out, it isn't difficult. I don't have to worry about hidden files or spyware, viruses, and all that good stuff.
Macs are cool but money is cool too. If I could run my own custom built computer with OS X I would. (I know you can but it's not reliable.) On the other hand, Macs are quite powerful and sometimes I don't mind handing over a little extra cash for a quality product.
-Peace

OP
macbookmaster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uhhh macbook (black) 120gb HD 2gb Ram and a intel core duo processor at 2.o ghz
because i earn a living fixing windows and HP problems.

thats deep and funy... and baggs... i. love. your. post. it is so deep i might drown... (i suck at swimming)... hahaha... thanks for letting me know why uMac... I'm curious to see what other ppl have as their reasons to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
because i already have a windows desktop. and ive had macs since 2000 and i hated how slow they were, then i saw the progres on how much faster they were, so i gotta pro and was amazed. now i have my macbook, and its faaasssstt like a twin turbo viper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i never had a problem with XP ME or any other MS operating system. everytime i look at OS X i feel serene and pleased that i am using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
At first because I wanted a cool,"in" laptop and I could get at a good price. But now i cant imagin not using os x. No viruses, no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Okay mine is an incredibly long story.

I went to a real estate evaluation company in June of 2005. At this company they were using severely outdated windows servers NT4.0 from b/t 94'-96' I guess. They were storing loads of data on these outdated servers. When I joined the company as an office manager/IT person along with the support from the business owner I decided after hearing a lot of good things about OS-10 and OS-10 server that it would be nice to try this out.

At first we bought 4 xservers with a few TB's of space. This proved to be insufficient for the amount of files and data we had. We bought quite a few more xservers and rack mounts until our location's basement offices were basically just walls and walls of xserves. All of the employees were given powerbook G4's. An old friend of mine also an IT wrote up a program for us to replace the evaluation software we were using previously.

After we went paperless and bought another evaluation company we had to double the number of servers and hd space.

We in the year and a half I was there increased productivity by ousting server and workstation crashes, made our inspectors mobile so they could do more on the road evaluations. We paid off all of the computers within the first year, and were still easily bypassing every previous years quota.

This...seeing all of this change for the better finally tempted me to convert my home to OS10 completely. I was amazed with the fact that we never in a year and a half had system crashes. It was eye opening and every business I have worked for since I have switched them to Macs and the business thrived beyond what any of them had ever done before.

Unfortunatly last I heard of the company I converted. They hired on a new IT guy who got rid of all the Mac's cause he didn't understand how they were set up or how to use them. He was fired within 6 months and sued for misrepresenting his resume and for destroying a years worth of evaluation files. They finally got everything back up and running and have reinstituted all the mac servers and updated everything to Core2Duos. They are back on track and this year they were named the most successful evaluation company in the state of Georgia by the Real Estate Commission of Atlanta.

Besides that Mac's are pretty freaking sweet, and so much easier to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I use a Mac because of OS X mainly. I love it. I love the dock/menu bar interface, Finder, the "eye candy."

I am 100% more productive on a Mac. I tell my computer what to do, not the other way around. I get more work done in less time.

No more maintenance. No more spyware/adware/malware scans. No more virus scans. No "fear" of going to a website, wondering what will infect my computer.

There are literally thousands of amazing free applications for OS X that actually don't suck.

This is cliche, but "it just works"

For what I do, Mac is better for me than Windows. (3D Design/Animation/Design/Photography/A touch of audio recording)

The design of them are amazing too. Simple, yet sophistocated. They are beautiful, elegant machines. They take "work" and make it more fun.

I used to put so much time, money, and energy into my Windows machine only to play video games. Once MS released the Xbox 360, well, once I actually bought one, I rarely touched my PC.

As a matter of fact, it's still sitting on my floor collecting dust. Beleive it or not, MS actually released something useful and that works well. For $800, it replaced $3500 of PC hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Been using Macs, well before they were Macs LOL. I prefer the Mac OS over others for all the same reasons. Mostly, to me, Windows can't get out of its own way, and let me be productive with out pop-ups, and other annoyances. In a way, OSX lets you get to your work, and is a joy to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
when i was a little kid, my school used DOS then windows '95. i heard about mac's and they seemed really cool, i mean i was little... it was flashy.. you know. i wanted one ever since. i finally got one last january and was ecstatic.

Reaction score
I was inlove with Mac since G3...I always wanted one but found them very expensive and bit too slow. i am also a gamer so Macs were not good options. But I always adored some alternatives to Windows! I used Amiga for a while...until they were dead so I had to comform to Windows PCs....thanks to Mac catching up...but I think it requires one more generation to be as powerful as custom essambled PCs....or PCs need Mac OS as an option to Windows...I am sure many people would switch. I think Apple should release Tiger for PC after Leopard is released! So, Mac users would still have one newer version as exclusive. Then PC users could protest Windows by buying a better product. It is a win win for everyone I believe. After that game companies also would start really supporting Mac Os and eventually Windows and MS would lose power....I can dream can't I!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
My first computer was a 1984 Mac, Had to use windows for work but bought myself a new eMac in 2004, the 1984 model was still working well although the battery was flat and was re-homed to a keen, youngster. I'm now using an iBook.

Main reason ~ Macs run a logical OS, Windows is not logical in any way shape or form. I also like using a clean, malware free computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle
I'm not as old school as Torchy, but I've been using Macs since the early 90s. My first was a Quadra 660 AV.

I've also had the benefit of using PCs at work for a long time which has made me even MORE of a Mac fan.

Basically, I Mac because you can actually buy peripherals for them that work the first time you plug them in.

I Mac because I'm tired of dealing with Spyware on my work PCs. (I wonder if the IT guys here are sick of de-bugging the machines around here).

I Mac because OSX is the most intuitive and stable OS out there - period.

And I Mac because they are beautiful machines that look and feel great. Plus I love the smell of a new Mac. (seriously)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.