• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Deconstructing YouTube's Search Engine ( SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE! )

Reaction score
Does anyone have remotely any idea how YouTube sorts/selects the order of their search results in relation to relevance?

Say for example if i type in "Britney Spears"

which would yield this

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=britney+spears&search=Search

it doesnt seem to go by any particular order..

SOME THEORIES i had:

-at first i thought it might be in order of date (but no they have a separate tab for that)

-then i thought maybe if the title of your video is closest to the original search of "britney spears" as possible (meaning titles which kept words other than "Britney spears" at a minimal might show up first)

but no that theory is invalid because the first video that shows up "Britney spears is a topless bad mother lesbian" shows up before "britney spears overprotected"

-THEN i thought maybe if the title of your video, and the description and additional tags you add to your video contain all the same words, that then it would show up first, but no thats not true either!

can anyone crack youtube's search engine results and how they are sorted/ordered in relation to "relevance"????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
They just guess.

OP
M
Reaction score
It goes by whatever order you choose.

thats what i meant,
how do they sort their videos in relation to "Relevance"?

rating is sorted by rating
view count is sorted by view count
date is sorted by date

how about relevance?

how does the "britney spears is a topless bad mother lesbian" video show up BEFORE
"britney spears overprotected " ???

logically wouldnt the latter come up first since it has less words other than the keyword of "Britney spears" ? but its the former that shows up first

i dont get how they sort/pick/choose the order of the videos in relation to the "relevance" tab

doesnt seem to follow a logical pattern.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
lol ask youtube if you can check out their algorithm ;)

Reaction score
Does anyone have remotely any idea how YouTube sorts/selects the order of their search results in relation to relevance?

Say for example if i type in "Britney Spears"

which would yield this

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=britney+spears&search=Search

it doesnt seem to go by any particular order..

SOME THEORIES i had:

-at first i thought it might be in order of date (but no they have a separate tab for that)

-then i thought maybe if the title of your video is closest to the original search of "britney spears" as possible (meaning titles which kept words other than "Britney spears" at a minimal might show up first)

but no that theory is invalid because the first video that shows up "Britney spears is a topless bad mother lesbian" shows up before "britney spears overprotected"

-THEN i thought maybe if the title of your video, and the description and additional tags you add to your video contain all the same words, that then it would show up first, but no thats not true either!

can anyone crack youtube's search engine results and how they are sorted/ordered in relation to "relevance"????

It works the same as Google I would say... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
You have to remember that when people upload vids onto YouTube, they are asked to "tag" them, meaning, place words on it so that when people search, they'll have a better chance of finding something that they are looking for.

For example, if I'm doing a tutorial in CS2, I'd tag it with "adobe, photoshop, CS2, tutorial, creative suite 2, etc"

The more words the videos are tagged with, the more relevence your search will have.

OP
M
Reaction score
You have to remember that when people upload vids onto YouTube, they are asked to "tag" them, meaning, place words on it so that when people search, they'll have a better chance of finding something that they are looking for.

For example, if I'm doing a tutorial in CS2, I'd tag it with "adobe, photoshop, CS2, tutorial, creative suite 2, etc"

The more words the videos are tagged with, the more relevence your search will have.

so you are saying that the more someone has the 'keyword' in their tag the higher it will be on a page in regards to a "Relevance search" ?

thats not exactly true either.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=apple+iphone&search=Search

^ take a what comes up when you search for "Apple iphone" on youtube
under 'relevance'

why does "a closer look at the iphone" by CBS appear before the
"Apple iphone interface" video by gizmodo?

the CBS video lists the word "CBS" as a tag before "iphone" and the word "apple" doesnt even appear in the title at all, while the gizmodo video lists "apple iphone" as the first two words in its tags and the first two words in its title.

if Youtube sorts/selects the order of their videos in relation to relevance searches by the tags like u suggested,
the CBS iphone video wouldnt appear first....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
maybe it's just how fast the server can find that them.

Reaction score
hi, any of you have any idea, why i can't see youtube video, every time i click over a video, i get a quicktime logo with ? simbol. thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.