• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Computer Dilemma

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I found someone that will buy my iMac for a $1000. I am not sure if I am really willing to give it up.
I just got my PowerMac G4 last week and I am using it about 85% of the time now. I am not really sure I really need my iMac anymore.
I don't really do anything intensive to need a fully up-to-date computer. My photo work is really slacking. I think I went about it backwards getting a computer and then saving for a digital SLR. Basically, I just my computer for surfing, music, burning movies, and some light photo work.
I can surely get by using the MDD Mac but I hate to sell the iMac because of its potential. It benchmarks about 2x faster than my PowerMac.
I guess I really don't like the idea still of having a screen built into the computer. I really love the expandability of the PowerMac but really don't want to step up to the Mac Pro. I'd rather stay with the MDD than upgrade to a cheap G5 PowerMac because those lack a lot of expandability as well.
Does anyone else have any opinions? Does anyone know if I will have access to every feature of 10.5 when it comes out with an older Mac?
I don't know what to do, so any comments will be helpful.
Bryan

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now my plans for the PowerMac are to use the one 500GB HD to save all my music in Apple lossless format. I was thinking about buying a 2nd 500GB and an HDTV tuner card to turn it into an OS X mythtv box, and many months down the road drop in a few more HD's for movies, photos, etc...
I have no plans for the iMac except to edit some photos once I feel inspired to shoot again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If I were in your position, I would keep the MDD and skip the G5 and later get a Mac Pro. The MDD for what you are doing is fine. My Digital Audio with 1.8Ghz G4 is quite fast and does most everything I need it to do more than fast enough. The iMac is Intel is a nice machine though and very fast. Can you just keep them both or is $$$ an issue?

Will let you know after the 1st on that CUBE. If I can get the $$$ I will take it off your hands.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Money isn't the issue. I could sell both and get the 2.66GHz Mac Pro but $2400 is a little much to spend on a computer.
I can't justify having two computers.

No problem. I am in no rush. If you don't want it, i will just repair the connector and sell it on eBay.

Reaction score
Your G4 is only 32 bit and the G5 can do 64 bit, which might be important when Leopard comes out. The G4 will run Leopard but the G5 is going to be snappier if you have the ram.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would rather not upgrade to a G5. Most of the technologies are somewhat dated and not worth the cost. If I am going to spend $1700 I want something with today's technologies.
But thanks for the heads up on the MDD. I thought it was 64 bit. I assume G5's were the first 64 bit Macs?
The more I think about it the more I want to sell the iMac immediately and sell the MDD in a few months and get the Quad 2.66.

Reaction score
Ditch the iMac if you can get $1000 for it, you can always buy one of the newer models later once 10.5 is out so you get a newer model and don't have to pay for a separate copy of OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.