• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Have you tried Tafiti?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
http://www.tafiti.com

Pretty cool stuff. I have tried it with Firefox and it works well. After your first search, switch to the tree view then the full screen mode. Very odd...

Be warned, it kicks you CPU right where it hurts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Wow,

That's actually kind of impressive, and it's from microsoft. (though you know they bought half the technology)

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow,

That's actually kind of impressive, and it's from microsoft. (though you know they bought half the technology)

Yeah, I saw an article in the Guardian - MS bought most of their technologies, even DOS 1.0...

Mind you Apple bought Cover Flow... and not many people know that... ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Apple also bought Logic, Final Cut, Shake, some touchscreen firm and of-course NeXT (which provided the base of OS X) among many other things throughout the years (I believe even iTunes is based on another application Apple bought). Apple improved everything before (re)releasing it, and I imagine (all though I don't know) Microsoft does the same.

Although, I did prefer CoverFlow's interface previous to iTunes inclusion (although the fact it was included and not an add-on was a step forward).

Also I think Silverlight could be a good thing for OS X, as it will eventually include DRM. I'm not a fan of DRM, but it will mean we can watch paid-for content and solve the big problem of MS not releasing their DRM for OS X and Apple not licensing FairPlay. It's not a perfect solution, but things like BBCs iPlayer and streaming movies (NetFlix et al) could take advantage of that.

EDIT: As for Tafiti... not a fan. I like the idea, but the implementation needs a lot of work. Type your search terms on a scratty piece of paper... with a typewriter font? Then that moves out of the way and you get a clipboard/old drawer looking thing displaying your search results... next to a scratty piece of paper, under which is a pretty cool look looking glass turntable, and behind it all is a modern, abstract background. Are they going for the retro look, or the ultra-modern look? You can't have both on one page, it doesn't work.

Tree view? Looks cool; useless for viewing search results... and yet another graphic style in the mix.

As a concept; a sort of tech-demo of Silverlight it's pretty good, but it's nowhere near a final product yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
it doesn't work for me, I get no search results no matter what I search for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Yeah,

but usually when apple buys something, they learn it, apply it, and adapt to it and add onto it. Microsoft usually slaps their name on it and ship it out the door.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
You must be an Administrator to install Microsoft Silverlight.
What the eff? I AM an Administrator...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Works here in Safari under Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The idea is interesting, but the interface leaves much to be desired. I think they took the "Tree" approach a bit to far.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The idea is interesting, but the interface leaves much to be desired. I think they took the "Tree" approach a bit to far.

Yeah, it's more gimmicky than anything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.