Fully Compatible Printer for Mac OS X 10.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
I bought the Brand new 20" iMac yesterday that was released (Aluminum finish) and Picked up a new printer to compliment the system, unfortunately upon arriving home with it the fine print stated that the scanner is not compatible with the Mac OS, this appears to be an issue found in several types of printers. So far I've only determined that Brother Printers will work, however that limits my options somewhat.

I had an HP PSC750 for years, and would to this day if it werent for my two year old daughter sticking her hands where they dont belong and ripping things out...

So my question is does Anyone know of a Good All-in-One, in which I can use ALL features? It appears many do not want to use scanners with Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to Mac-Forums bryans83!!!!!

I use an HP Photosmart C5100 All-In-One Printer/Color Copier/Fax/Scanner/Car Reader/:D Laundry Doer/Dish Washer :D...

It works perfectly, and did so from the moment I opened the box...

c00688443.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Which printer did you buy? Cause most HP printers come with OS X drivers. Not sure about Canon though, I did have some problems with the canon printer..

OP
bryans83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which printer did you buy? Cause most HP printers come with OS X drivers. Not sure about Canon though, I did have some problems with the canon printer..

It was the Epson R380, I really was disapointed with myself the way I grabbed it without looking over it more, I was blinded with excitement to get my Mac, and saw the words scanner, only to reveal how limited the functionality on a Mac would be.

So I take it that HP Printers should be fairly compatible, as well as the Canon ones. A Co-worker suggested a Canon Pixma printer, however it was while I was looking at printers on best buy's site but they probably didn't know it was for a Mac. Anyone who has any experience with either HP or Canon please let me know. I've owned HP Printers and would certainly grab another quickly if I know it will work and is within a decent price range ($60-200)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4 gHz, 2 gb RAM
It was the Epson R380, I really was disapointed with myself the way I grabbed it without looking over it more, I was blinded with excitement to get my Mac, and saw the words scanner, only to reveal how limited the functionality on a Mac would be.

So I take it that HP Printers should be fairly compatible, as well as the Canon ones. A Co-worker suggested a Canon Pixma printer, however it was while I was looking at printers on best buy's site but they probably didn't know it was for a Mac. Anyone who has any experience with either HP or Canon please let me know. I've owned HP Printers and would certainly grab another quickly if I know it will work and is within a decent price range ($60-200)
I have a Canon Pixma iP6000D printer that I bought several years ago to use with a PC. I recently purchased a new Mac, and downloaded the driver from Canon's site for the Mac, and it works perfectly with no issues. I even have it connected to the Airport Extreme Base Station and I can print wirelessly from my Mac and my old PC.

I also purchased a Macbook for my daughter, and a Canon Pixma iP4300 from the Apple store. Works perfectly with OSX. No issues. I think it had an installation CD for Mac, if I recall.

My other daughter uses a Canon Pixma iP4000 (three years old) and used it with a PC notebook for three years. She also downloaded the driver for her new Mac from the Canon site and it works perfectly.

As you can probably guess, I really like the Canon printers, and we have had no issues with them working with OSX, once you download the driver from the Canon website, which is really easy to find.

OP
bryans83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent. Thank you so far everyone for the suggestions.

I remember about 8 years ago I had a Canon Bubble Jet, and it worked well for some time, it was part of the PC package I had bought.. To me Canon is reliable, Ive always owned Canon cameras, so some good points have been provided.

My biggest concern is the scanning abilities, if it doesnt scan to Mac OS then I dont want it, but based on the info provided it's likely that wont be the case for the Canon or HPs.

Please anyone that can add suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I have an Epson Stylus CX5000 and have no compatibility issues.

Btw, the link dtravis has above includes the following info:
Operating Systems

Windows®: 98SE, 2000, Me, XP and XP Professional x64, Macintosh®: OS X 10.3.9 to 10.4.x(PowerPC® and Intel® Core Processor)

edit: the Epson scans to my MacBook just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have an Epson R800. It came with Mac drivers. I really rather doubt that another Epson model does not. Are you quite sure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4 gHz, 2 gb RAM
My biggest concern is the scanning abilities, if it doesnt scan to Mac OS then I dont want it, but based on the info provided it's likely that wont be the case for the Canon or HPs.
I use a Canon standalone scanner (Lide 70) and have no problem scanning with my Mac. If you find something that fits your budget on the BB site or elsewhere, you could go to the manufacturer's site for that product (HP, Canon, etc.) and just check out "support" or "downloads" for the particular product. It should tell you whether it is compatible and you might also be able to tell whether there are any issues regarding compatibility.

Another good way to check this is to find the printer or scanner you are considering on amazon.com and read the reviews. You will often find reviews from Mac owners who will tell you whether they have had any compatibility problems.

OP
bryans83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to Mac-Forums bryans83!!!!!

I use an HP Photosmart C5100 All-In-One Printer/Color Copier/Fax/Scanner/Car Reader/:D Laundry Doer/Dish Washer :D...

It works perfectly, and did so from the moment I opened the box...

c00688443.jpg

Excellent, well I got A Printer... the HP Photosmart C5280 And it works wonders... So, thank you everyone for your advise. The Print and Scan functions work with 10.4... I am so happy now, Thanks again!!

OP
bryans83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an Epson R800. It came with Mac drivers. I really rather doubt that another Epson model does not. Are you quite sure?

It says on the Tech Sheet from Epson, as does it on the Box in small print that the scan function is not compatible with Mac OS, only windows... The print would work fine, but its the scanner im after.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
It might be that not all the scan functions are available (as in the buttons on the unit itself won't be picked up by OS X), but I would imagine it's just a TWAIN scanner device and should still work in some capacity and be able to be controlled by Image Capture or Photoshop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.