airport extreme Wireless-N internet problem with macbook?

Reaction score
So lately my macbook has been very picky with my apple airport extreme base station (Wireless N). Upon every start up I have full bars but the internet does not work. I fix this by trying to connect to another network in my neighborhood, it fails because I have no clue what their password is, but then when I connect to the airport again I will have full bars and then my internet works. When that solution fails to work I'll open my airport utility and restart my base station.

My firmware and software is all up to date. And I even wait a while when my macbook is powered up before i click on safari or email but it still won't work unless I do the steps that I stated, or just go into my airport utility and save my settings again to have the base station restart.
I have had the base station for months now with no problems, and all of my wireless stuff (wii, other laptop) will work when the macbook is having its problems.

I traced this problem to when I first connected to my college's wireless network. It seems from that point on my airport extreme at home has been having problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Try switching the router to wireless n only (if you don't use it for other g systems). Also, you might consider switching channels. I had spotty coverage and messed with the channels. For some reason channels 1~5 got the best results. With trial and error 3 worked best for me.I'm sure the exact channel would be different for you, but you might consider "tuning" it's channel to see if it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Have you tried to wait 10-15 seconds for the internet connection?

I have noticed that it takes some time after the full bars come until the internet connection actually works.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
yes i have waited minutes for it to connect, even when coming back out of sleep mode.

it has always just....well "just works" but nothing was changed at all. could it be a problem with the internals of the macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Did switching channels in the Airport Utility help at all?

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
Nope. I had been using automatic but I did try the other channels.
I found a new way to get it to work, I can run network diagnosis and once it says "network settings changed" and then someting about my IP adress. And then my internet will work. It usually takes me a good 10 minutes until it will finally work, which is odd because my network works and I get full bars when my internet isn't working.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
anyone know of any way to fix this? Nothing that I do seems to work. Now it takes even longer and longer of connecting to other networks then back to the airport to get it to work.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
Ok, I do not want to jump to a conclusion quite yet.... but...
Under my networks I noticed that it had been connecting to "home" while in the past I had "automatic" set as the default. No problems yet today, but who knows there is always tomorrow.... I hope it will stay stable

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
Ok I figured out what the problem is but now i need help at fixing it.

To connect to the internet on my network I need to go to internet connections, TCP/IP then hit renew DHCP lease and then it will right away work every time. Now I am not that smart when it comes to what DHCP is and why I have to renew it everytime to connect. Any help pleeeease?

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
Here is the fix.
Go into your aiport utility and up at the top hit internet. Go to the DHCP and look at the DHCP lease. Mine was set up for one hour. I just set it up for 365 Days. So that means, in theory, I should stay connected and I would have to hit that Renew DHCP lease once a year. :)
It has worked fine ever since.

Reaction score
How did you do it?

Hey, I am having the exact same problem with Leopard. PLEASE help me out, I just got my router changes because I thought it was that. Where can I edit the DHCP settings like you did?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Some things to check - is the Extreme set up in bridge mode - and this is assuming that you have a router/provider that is handing out DHCP.
For happier surfing enter your ISP's address in the DNS box under Network settings for airport.
Then repower modem - extreme - macbook and take stock, is the problem the same or different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.