• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The ultimate question:360 or PS3?

Reaction score
This includes premium 360 or elite and ps3, comments on all appreciated. Not sure which one to get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Not having played either, I plan on getting a Wii, personally. The 360 just seems to be badly designed and built, and melt a lot, as do it's peripherals, and the PS3 is hideously overpriced. I'd never pay £400+ for a console, then £50 for games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I own the Wii (selling it now) - The Wii is an awesome little console. Don't get me wrong though, while it's still a great console, it's kind of a let down as well. The console its self is great, but it's the selection of games.

Allot of the games that have come out for the wii are just classic remakes of PS2 titles and arcade titles, and of course... the whole mario franchise. I have red steel and Zelda for it, and they are really really good. I'm just disappointed with the selection of games that aren't MARIO, I personally would like to see more mature games like zelda and red steel. Manhunt 2 was kicked to the curb because it was too violent. It's coming back out in december, but still.

Nintendo has just really bugged me because I have this console that has so many capabilities and no one is getting a chance to see or show what it's made of, they take all of the good ideas and games, and ban them and saturate the marked with stale remakes from 6 - 8 years ago. Really.. it's a bummer. The lack of great titles isn't the reason I'm selling, I'm selling it because I haven't played it much, I love it, and I don't want to sell it. But, i'm not using it, so it should to some one that will use it.

I'd prefer an xbox360 over the ps3, it's much better. Microsoft has had trouble with heat issued, but they are being addressed (or are). Not every console will over heat. They just extended the warranty to 3 years, so if it fails to perform correctly you'll definitely have time to get it fixed. The games are unreal on the 360, really.. I don't think you'll be too dissapointed with the 360, it has great games and a huge library of original games.. IT's fab.

The ps3 has lots of potential, but it's that price that makes it a bad choice, you're going to go broke before you can even play it.

Reaction score
I have a 360 and I haven't had any issues with it. You have a great selection of games and it's a reasonable size/ price compared to the PS3. My two cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
My PS3 basically sits by my TV since I've been playing World or Warcraft.

Reaction score
I have a 360 Premium gaming system and a PS3 BluRay disc player. If you want games, go 360, especially if you have friends that are already Live players.

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
thx for all comments KEEP POSTING! some specs would be helpful.

Reaction score
People are running out of reasons to buy a PS3 because sony isnt paying for as much exclusives anymore. Case in point, more games that are for both Xbox and PS3, while still more games for only 360 (Halo, Gears, and others) and less and less for just the PS3. Many of the top games are ether for both the 360 and PS3, or just the 360. But few are exclusive to just the PS3. Plus its just to dang much money, they are just games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
PS3 is way too much money. I bought a 360 a couple weeks back and I like it. I am certainly not a hardcore gamer by any means. My other systems are N64 and SNES. I play it when I am in the mood. I don't feel guilty for spending an arm and a leg either. I will miss the new Gran Turismo game though.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It basically comes down to one thing: games

Make a list with two columns. In one column, put what 360-exclusive games you really want to play, and in the column put the PS3-exclusive games. I say exclusive because it should be obvious why cross-platform games don't factor into this equation. Once you're done, pick the system that has more games. It really is as simple as that. No point in buying a system based on stuff like technical specs or media functions if you can't play any games on it.

I have an Xbox 360 and a Wii. I bought the former because it simply had more games that I wanted to play, and the Wii is just plain fun with friends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
It basically comes down to one thing: games

Make a list with two columns. In one column, put what 360-exclusive games you really want to play, and in the column put the PS3-exclusive games. I say exclusive because it should be obvious why cross-platform games don't factor into this equation. Once you're done, pick the system that has more games. It really is as simple as that. No point in buying a system based on stuff like technical specs or media functions if you can't play any games on it.

I have an Xbox 360 and a Wii. I bought the former because it simply had more games that I wanted to play, and the Wii is just plain fun with friends.

That is a great point ... I totally agree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch
360; have one myself. Many games, cheaper, and never had an issue with it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the ps3 is without a doubt on a longer product track than the 360. it has without a doubt had a slow start. it is expensive. it has fewer games, and at this time fewer exclusives. but the ball has barely begun to roll for the ps3. blame it on the 360 if you want, blame it on the cost of the hardware if you want. one of the prime factors is the sheer success of the previous hardware. the ps2 was, and still is, a juggernaut.

the ps3 will make a steady climb towards being one of the best successes in video gaming history.

of course, i'm no fanboy. the 360 is a great machine, that is, if you don't mind supporting microsoft. and if i had a bunch of spare cash laying around i'd probably have the three current consoles all sitting right next to each other by my tv, or at least the wii and ps3.

on a personal note, i must, and i repeat, must have a ps3 in the future. if only for one reason... gran turismo 5.

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
well i hered for example that gta 4 will be five times bigger on ps3 than on 360 is this a rumour or is it fact? Also with the competition of blu ray-hd-dvd if i buy a ps3 and hd-dvd wins ill have like the equivalent of beetamax in the 80's. I personally prefer the 360 although in terms of value for money i think the ps3 us better because you pay £400 but you get EVERYTHING! You get:
next-gen movie player
wireless networking (£70)
sd-cards, cf cards etc
4 usbs

so it actually works out slightly cheaper. then again if hd-dvd wins (which i want it to) then im sure soon it will be very cheap for the hd-dvd upgrade like buyin a dvd player now. The thing that really gets me is the wireless networking. IDK having owned a 360 and really liked it (oblivion especially) i would be more inclined to get that but im not sure.............
tech specs would be good
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Neither. If I could afford to spend that much money right now, id be buying the best used mac laptop I can come across.

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
im getting a mac curtest of my dad in 2 months so im sorted there but i want something to just be able to sit and play on

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
jees no offence but you would hope so with those specs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.