Ethernet Connection

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to OS X with a MacBook and have a very stupid question it seems. My MacBook connects with my wireless network perfectly, but when I plug it into my router via an ethernet cable for faster download speed, the computer does not seem to recognize the connection. Is there any setting I have to change?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
System Preferences, Network, Ethernet and be sure DHCP is selected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
OS X uses the first connection that is available. So if you connected to your wireless network before plugging it in via Ethernet, try disabling Airport and it should work

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OS X uses the first connection that is available. So if you connected to your wireless network before plugging it in via Ethernet, try disabling Airport and it should work

Another good point and very true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
Ok, I will post in here as I do not want to start a new thread. The topic is related.

I have an ethernet connection at work and would like to access the server where files are stored (and maybe download emails from Outlook?). I have spoken to the IT guys but they are afraid of Macs and do not understand them. I have the Mac hardwired with ethernet and have internet access, but I would like to be able to view and transfer files on the main server.

Is it possible/easy? Does it require other software?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
riscy, what OS are the servers there running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
The IT guys need to "share" a Mac volume that is identical to the Windows volume. Easy to do. If for email only, you just set up Outlook to look for the server. Not sure about the email stuff....

I will check my server for the technique. W2000 is WAY better for Mac connectivity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The IT guys need to "share" a Mac volume that is identical to the Windows volume. Easy to do.

Can you explain this with more detail please??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Chilbear,

thanks for the reply.

In an ideal world I would like to have access to the files on the server and also check Outlook, but the IT guys are very reluctant to even try so basically I have to do it myself if it is going to happen. I downloaded MSUAM for X from the Windows site and will try to set that up over the next few days, but I am not hopeful.
The IT guys need to "share" a Mac volume that is identical to the Windows volume. Easy to do. If for email only, you just set up Outlook to look for the server. Not sure about the email stuff....

I will check my server for the technique. W2000 is WAY better for Mac connectivity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.