• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My PC Has Officially begun dying :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Its a sad day :(

Well first let me tell u the background on this computer. Its an HP pavilion dv4165cl. Ive now had it for 3 years. And i have used it, as in really used it. At any given time i can have photoshop, firefox, msn messenger, aim, AVG, Roboform, iTunes, Windows media player (Yes, i do have them open at the same time, i prefer to play music using WMP, and i just use itunes for my ipods ;) ), Outlook, Azureus, And the occasional Limewire downloads. This machine has been great until now. 87 Gb out of 90 are used up, sadly.

It needs a new mobo b/c the powerjack is broke (well not completely, it needs a little wiggling to charge, but any other slight wiggle will stop charging).

Its starting to randomly fail CD burns.

The screen is starting to become a whole lot dimmer than it used to be.

The mousepad (dunno what its called on a Laptop) is becoming very VERY jerky, which annoys the **** outta me :Shouting:

The speakers have died. All u can hear from them is khshshhshss (lol)

I love this thing. Its taken me through thick and thin.

Now i just haveto convince my dad that i need a new comp :Oops:

PS. Is three years too short or is it average? My dads dell died 3 months after it was bought (LOL), and so did my brothers.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
my 17" pavillion melted itself within a year by playing sim games. it's now a 1000 dollar brick in my closet.

often the HP laptops at work cook motherboards and other parts. it just seems really hit and miss. some run forever, some have a host of problems - pretty much like anything else though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Sounds like time to go shopping.......;D

With the old HP, is it going to be a burial or cremation??:Evil:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Dennis plays Taps on his guitar while the HP goes to that Computer Graveyard in the ground! :D

...Dennis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
3 Years is pretty good for a laptop in my book. Apple won't warranty their computer past years, nor to any other computer makers, so that should tell you something about their life expectancy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
3 Years? I don't think so. If I hadn't rebuilt my parents PC, it'd still be running smooth today. It was an old 400MHz HP Pavilion desktop. It was probably purchased 6 years ago. It was just too dated which is why I had to update it not because anything was broken.
I just bought a PowerMac that was released in 2003 and it still runs perfectly.
Bryan

Reaction score
3 Years? I don't think so. If I hadn't rebuilt my parents PC, it'd still be running smooth today. It was an old 400MHz HP Pavilion desktop. It was probably purchased 6 years ago. It was just too dated which is why I had to update it not because anything was broken.
I just bought a PowerMac that was released in 2003 and it still runs perfectly.
Bryan

On the other hand, I had an HP Pavilion a282n computer that's motherboard failed when it was 3 years old. Had it replaced, motherboard died in 2 months. That's when I said screw it and bought my mini.

On the other other hand, my parents have an HP Pavilion they bought in 1995, 166 MHz, 1 GB HD, 32 MB of RAM running Windows 95. They used it for thier business until 2003 when they purchased a Dell with XP. They never had a problem with the HP, and the Dell has been sent in 3 times. (Hard drive failure, motherboard failure, and one more hard drive failure) We still have that old HP, and when you fire it up, it boots right to Windows 95, just like it did 12 years ago.

So with HP's it's pretty hit and miss.

But I do feel sorry for your loss, losing a computer that has worked well for you is hard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
My 2 year old mac mini just died. Well the hd crashed.

2 years seems a little to early, but maybe I'm just unlucky.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I still have my first 286. Home built machine and the first PC I had ever worked with. Original Motherboard, CPU and RAM. Still works as good as the day I bought it all. Only the Hard Drive, Case and Video Card are stock. Amazes me every time I run into it that is still all works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
With the old HP, is it going to be a burial or cremation??
Both those methods are harmful to the environment....not recomended.:)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score

perhaps it should be encased in a lead lined concrete cask and shipped off to new mexico?

;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
About the 3 years, I was speaking more of on average. Obviously you'll see longer and shorter times.

My point is that insurance companies and business put a lot of work into understanding just how long things (and people) will last and and then figure out how long they can cover and still turn a profit after it's all said and done.

So, judging by the fact that most companies will warranty for 3 years at the most, I'd say that's a pretty good indicator of what you can expect out of your investment. Actually you're probably even better off since most warranties only cover 1 year (meaning things start becoming hit and miss after only a year) And the only brand I know that covers 3 years without an extended warranty cost is the Lenovo Thinkpad.

We still have that old HP, and when you fire it up, it boots right to Windows 95, just like it did 12 years ago.

Yes, but how many times do you "fire it up" these days? I could buy a brand new MBP and chuck it in the closet, then pull it out 20 years from now and claim my 20 year old MBP runs like brand new.

Granted, 8 years is impressive (any hardware changes?) but you kind of have to stop counting when you don't use it often.

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like time to go shopping.......;D

With the old HP, is it going to be a burial or cremation??:Evil:

I think a burial, i cremation is too harsh for this baby O:)

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3 Years is pretty good for a laptop in my book. Apple won't warranty their computer past years, nor to any other computer makers, so that should tell you something about their life expectancy.

Yeah, i had actually expected it to last at the most 2 years :) Its just sad that im going to part with this thing pretty soon :(

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My 2 year old mac mini just died. Well the hd crashed.

2 years seems a little to early, but maybe I'm just unlucky.

I would expect a desktop to last a lot longer than 2 or 3 years, mainly because it doesnt suffer the abuse that laptops do when theyre on the move.

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

So what do u reccomend? Sell it for parts? I dont know if i could do that :(

:p

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry im a little late in my own thread. I was out of town all day till now :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
this button:

multiquote_off.gif

can be clicked on a number of threads before you click this one:

reply.gif

to quote multiple sources.

Reaction score
Yes, but how many times do you "fire it up" these days? I could buy a brand new MBP and chuck it in the closet, then pull it out 20 years from now and claim my 20 year old MBP runs like brand new.

Granted, 8 years is impressive (any hardware changes?) but you kind of have to stop counting when you don't use it often.

Well it was on 24 hours a day 365 days a year for 8 years, so I'd say it did pretty well if it still works.

And honestly, I wouldn't know how old it was if I hadn't've taken a look inside of it. :D

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this button:

multiquote_off.gif

can be clicked on a number of threads before you click this one:

reply.gif

to quote multiple sources.
Oh wow, so thats how u do it. Ive always wondered about it.

Thanks for the tip ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.